General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

high oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 12:58 AM
MCas86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default high oil pressure

i searched the forums with no luck... would high oil pressure cause my SES light to come on? if so, what could be the cause? bc its been a LITTLE higher, not much, but then my SES came on...im takin it to autozone tomorrow sometime. ill let u know what code i get.

Old 05-20-2006, 12:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: high oil pressure

How high is a "little higher"? I'd have to pay attention a bit more to know where my oil pressure runs on my Bravada, but I know that when cold, it'll push upwards of 60psi and then once warmed up cruisin' down the road, it'll be around 40psi. I could hook up my computer to get actual readings for you...

Old 05-20-2006, 02:28 PM

thats exactly where mine went but i dont think it has anything to do with my pressure.... code was P0446 im goin to look it up now...he said something about an evap ill reply in a minute

Old 05-20-2006, 02:31 PM

P0446 = Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit

Old 05-20-2006, 05:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

When was the last time you filled up your fuel tank? Many evap codes are caused by a loose or faulty gas cap. I would recommend having the codes cleared and see if it comes back again. Especially if you just filled up with gas and the first few drive cycles after the refill triggered the SES light. I try to click my gas cap atleast 3 times when tightening it back down.

*EDIT* - here's a quote I found on an OBDII forum:
P0446 is not a leak, it's a blockage of the venting system. After the EVAP system is tested, the vent is reopened and allows the tank to be open to the atmosphere (this prevents a collapse of your fuel tank when fuel is being pulled out by the fuel pump).

The vent valve is behind the fuel tank in the middle with two wires going to it. The vapor line goes to the charcoal canister. Either of these or the vacuum hose can be plugged. A pressure test will show if there is sufficient flow of the valve, or if there is a restriction. Removing the line from the canister to the vent and see if the flow returns would be the quickest way to identify which side the problem lies (canister or vent)....

Without the tools, you could always remove the line at the canister that leads to the vent solenoid and try to blow through it, you should be able to easily.

Also, remember that this may not be occuring presently, so a pressure test (smoke or just N2) and checking the flowrate will indicate whether the problem is still occuring.