General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 S10 Blazer. Please help :-(

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 10:13 PM
57butler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 97 S10 Blazer. Please help :-(

Hello ALl,
Hope someone can help us. I have a 1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4wd, fuel pump and fuel filter were replaced. Tune up was done Oct. Battery volt meter does not read when trying to start. 3rd battery this year. I suspect it's not the alternator since the truck ran for a couple months before problems occured again. We suspected it was alarm cutting of battery power, removed alarm. It started a couple times after alarm removal, now it won't start at all when trying to jump start it. When we try to start, warning lights on dashboard do not come on although regular dashboard lights come on and door chime comes on. Please help, I miss my baby.

Kathy

Old 09-18-2005, 11:02 PM
Default RE: 97 S10 Blazer. Please help :-(

Update:
We have narrowed it down to the brain.
We had a friend mechanic come over today and eliminated almost everything else. He ran a direct connection from the battery to the modular and it started. They looked and tested everything that runs between the battery and the modular. Hubby is going to replace the brain this week.

Kathy

Old 09-23-2005, 11:58 PM

ORIGINAL: 57butler

Update:
We have narrowed it down to the brain.
We had a friend mechanic come over today and eliminated almost everything else. He ran a direct connection from the battery to the modular and it started. They looked and tested everything that runs between the battery and the modular. Hubby is going to replace the brain this week.

Kathy
Ok, it wasn't the brain. It is something definately electrical.

Old 09-24-2005, 02:08 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tested the fuseable links? Should be one within 12" from starter on the wire connected to the same bolt as teh big red batttery cable on the starter.

I am not positive of hte ignition wiring on the '97 so I will stop there. I'll dig out the chilton book and take a look at the wiring diagram tomorrow.
Bed time right now. Sorry my brain isn't functioning completely so I don't want to misslead you.

Old 09-26-2005, 11:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Hanr3

Have you tested the fuseable links? Should be one within 12" from starter on the wire connected to the same bolt as teh big red batttery cable on the starter.

I am not positive of hte ignition wiring on the '97 so I will stop there. I'll dig out the chilton book and take a look at the wiring diagram tomorrow.
Bed time right now. Sorry my brain isn't functioning completely so I don't want to misslead you.
Hubby did test the fusable link and he says it is good.
Half the fuses work and the other half does not. Hubby ran a wire from the good fuses to the bad and it starts with no problems. But we are not using the truck until we figure out what the problem is.
It is getting frustrating. I did subscribe to the chiltonDIY.com. It is not helping.

Old 09-27-2005, 02:05 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Half the fuses. As in, the fuses in the engine compartment work, and the fuses in the cab don't?

If not, which fuses work and which ones don't? Like hich things work and which don't?

I did look in the Chilton book, what a nightmare. Based on teh book, there are 3 fuseable link between teh battery and both fuse panels. One before the power junction box, one before engine fuse box, and one before cab fuse box. Looks like the power comes off the battery to the junction block, to engnine bay fuse box, and then to cab fuse box.

Old 09-27-2005, 10:10 PM

Half the fuses. As in, the fuses in the engine compartment work, and the fuses in the cab don't?

If not, which fuses work and which ones don't? Like hich things work and which don't?

I did look in the Chilton book, what a nightmare. Based on teh book, there are 3 fuseable link between teh battery and both fuse panels. One before the power junction box, one before engine fuse box, and one before cab fuse box. Looks like the power comes off the battery to the junction block, to engnine bay fuse box, and then to cab fuse box.

The cab compartment fuse box, right when you open the drivers side door. Half of the fuses in there work and the other half doesn't. Hubby isn't home right now, so I wouldn't be able to tell you which ones do and don't work. Although, you can tell when the truck will start when the warning lights on the dashboard come on when the key is turned in on position. When the warning lights do not come on when I turn the key on, the truck will not start. It's weird. I'll have hubby look at all 3 links if he didn't already. Thank you :-)

Kathy

Old 09-28-2005, 03:35 AM
BF Veteran

Have you ruled out ignition switch?

Old 09-28-2005, 11:31 PM

Have you ruled out ignition switch?
Absolutely. He dtermined that there is spark (he did something to the spark plugs) even when the truck is in position not to start.

Old 09-29-2005, 01:46 AM
BF Veteran

The security system will allow spark. It won't allow fuel. The security system kills the power to the fuel pump. A fualty ignition switch is interpreted by the computer as a incorrect key. To prevent the vehicle from being stolen with a incorrect key, the computer shuts off the power to the fuel pump. The truck still gets spark, but no fuel. No fuel and it won't run.

Quick Reply: 97 S10 Blazer. Please help :-(