General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

oil change 94' Blazer - Tips Pls!

Old 05-22-2006, 06:31 PM
cimbali is an unknown quantity at this point
Default oil change 94' Blazer - Tips Pls!

Hey! I am planning to change the oil on my 1994 blazer and wondering if you can offer any tips given that this would be a first for me on this truck. Below are a couple of items I am still bit unsure about:

The oil filter is located just behind the driver side headlight. Do I need to move air filter box to get to the oil filter or is there an easier way?

Do I need some sorta filter wrench to twist off the filter or just use my hands?

How about installing the new filter? Do I just turn until cannot turn anymore?

BTW I am planning to use an oil extractor instead of ramps; any one use this before? Here is a link:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=10122

thanks!

Old 05-22-2006, 09:38 PM
Jeremy_87_S10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: oil change 94' Blazer - Tips Pls!

Filter wrench wouldn't hurt. Sometimes you can get it off with your hands though. When you put the new one on spread some fresh oil on the rubber seal ring and tighten it by hand. If you get it too tight it might be really difficult to get off on your next oil change.

Old 05-22-2006, 10:15 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

That's a strange place for an oil filter location.

I hammer a narrow screw driver into the filter and use the driver handle as leverage to loosen the filter. Tighten the new filter hand tight.

I think using the ramps would be the preferable way to drain the pan. You'll get more used oil out.

Old 05-23-2006, 02:10 AM
Jeremy_87_S10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, I looked up that pump, if it pulls the oil from the dipstick hole that will leave everything you really want to get out in your oil pan. Any solids or other heavy material will still be there. The oil drain plug is at the lowest point if your oil pan allowing all the oil to push/flush out all the bad stuff. I would save 60 bucks and do it the thourogh way.

Old 05-23-2006, 10:15 AM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 93 and my filter is in the same place. You have to move the air filter out of the way. I usually just take the two bolts out that are at the front and sit it up out of the way without actually removing it completely. It's actually not that difficult, just a pain in the *** that you have to do it in the first place. If you haven't done the last oil change, I'd recommend a wrench to help remove the filter, yes. I just did my oil change a few weeks ago and someone else had done the last one and I couldn't get the filter off by hand. When I do it myself, I know how tight I put it on and can unscrew it myself everytime.

I have never had to use ramps to do my oil changes. The truck sits high enough that you can just slide under and undo the drain plug. I don't really trust ramps anyway.

Old 05-23-2006, 12:50 PM

Thanks every one for your replies! I will look into a filter wrench and lubing the rubber seal with oil seems like a good idea. I feel much better now about getting to the filter and making sure I do things right!

The oil extractor appears a bit easier and cleaner than getting under the car to change the oil. But then again I may alternate with a gravity drain to make sure everything gets out eventually, thanks.

Old 05-23-2006, 12:57 PM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

Ya, you should always lube it with some of the oil because otherwise you will have a terrible time trying to get it off!!

Old 05-26-2006, 01:20 PM

Hey, your right, there is tons of clearence to access the drain plug! Would you know the torque specs for tightening this plug? thx!

Old 05-26-2006, 06:33 PM
Starting Member
Bocomo is an unknown quantity at this point

When I replace my plug I just make sure it is good and firm. I do not have the torque specs, I've never had one leak either.

On the oil filter it will tell you on the filter box to "spin" the filter until it is snug (does not spin freely), then tighten it about 3/4 of a turn. This, of course, is after wiping fresh oil on the rubber ring on the oil filter.

Old 05-28-2006, 03:45 PM
94TahoeLT is an unknown quantity at this point

one more small bit of advice. concerning the drain plug. Wipe it off and inspect the threads on the plug and pan. If the drain plug is burred or shows signs of being cross threaded, get a new one, or you'll have a blazer that "marks its territory with oil spots.

Greg S

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil change 94' Blazer - Tips Pls!