General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

this oil has me confused...ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 01:40 AM
wstdintllgnce is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: oil and such.....

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Have you monitored how much oil you are actually losing?

not really. it lost about a quart or more while it was sitting there parked. i haven't had much of a chance to refill it and check it exactly. but the more i think about it.....i'm thinking it's in the lines....or possibly a combination of things. the looks of it underneath look like i may need a new pan gasket. and for all i know could be the timing cover seal. but i really don't think it's anything other than one or a combination of those.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:44 AM
rooster is an unknown quantity at this point

if u losing a lot of oil on the ground then it may not be ur lines. those compression fittings go all the time but dont force out that much oil at atime. and even then, they will only push out the oil while the truck is running. id stick with gaskets. the rocker covers can leak from the back, which is hard to see and can coat just about everything else underneath them. and as the truck sits all that loose oil will puddle up on the ground. although the bolt holding down the oil lines on the oil pump could be loose, another hard to see item. tonight u should lay some cardboard under the truck and try to see exactly where the oil drips.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:24 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, just for comparison, the underside of my engine is all 'wet' too. However, I do not loose any excessive amount of oil between 5k mile oil change intervals so I don't worry about it. Nor does it drip in my Garage (believe me, I wouldn't be parking in the garage if it did and that wouldn't fly this winter!).

Being a '99, you have a cast aluminum oil pan which has a captured o-ring style gasket. These VERY rarely will go bad.