General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Possible to gain hp but lose speed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 12:50 AM
strongboy2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possible to gain hp but lose speed?

Ok here is my current dilemma: today I tested my Hypertech with high octane gas using the low octane fuel setting. This worked wonderfully, and I gained pretty good noticible power (my figures said 15 hp, but it was probably less). Here is my problem though. I just finished testing quarter mile times and my times were significantly worse... I just don't understand...

The numbers:
18.15 sec @ 73.3 MPH
17.97 sec @ 74.3 MPH
17.72 sec @ 76.8 MPH
17.95 sec @ 74.9 MPH
17.94 sec @ 75.1 MPH

Avg and stdev: 17.95 sec +- 0.15

I don't like doing too many quarter mile runs at once on my motor, so I decided to set it back to stock and give it one stock run to see if there's a difference.

Stock run: 17.73 sec @ 77 MPH

I really don't see how this is possible. I had honestly expected low 17s so this came as quite a shock to me. When I first brought home the car, my friend and I (both in the car) were running better times than just me in the car running premium gas... Could this be indicating that something is going wrong?

Old 02-16-2006, 05:58 PM
Default RE: Possible to gain hp but lose speed?

To the people that have Hypertechs:

Do you think the tuning needs time to "set" or something? I was just thinking about this, and when I ran my other series of tests where I gained power with the Hypertech, I had been driving around town for several days with the power tuning. I then did the tests, and when I took off the power tuning my numbers were significantly less...

I wait the recommended 30 seconds... Should I leave the tuning installed for longer before I try testing?

Old 02-16-2006, 06:35 PM

Answered my own question...

I set the Hypertech to the power tuning 87 octane and let it sit out there for about an hour. I then took it out to g-tech it. These were my results:

1st run: 18.22 sec @ 73.4 MPH, I was highly discouraged from this run, because it was so slow and indicated that the wait hadn't done anything to "fix" the tuning. Anyways, I was going to just leave and not test anymore, but I decided to try it one more time...

2nd run: 17.41 sec @ 78.7 MPH, my new fastest time... Now I was getting interested... So I ran it again...

3rd run: 17.37 sec @ 78.2 MPH, my new fastest time AGAIN... Ok, so now I was pretty excited and ran it again...

4th run: 17.17 sec @ 80.6 MPH, good Lord... I broke 80 MPH...

Yeah, it was a good day. I have come to the conclusion, after all these tests, that the car's computer takes a little time to accept the power tuning, so back-to-back switches from stock to power tuning are very misleading (by quite a bit). I can now safely say that I would recommend the Hypertech. On premium fuel it took off approximately .25 seconds from my quarter mile, on average...

Hopefully I don't change my mind in the future... It's been a hard few weeks testing this thing...

Old 02-16-2006, 07:13 PM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point

The time I took my hypertech off and drove off The firmness of the transmission was still there for a couple of minute and took a while for it to run better too like it lost life but a couple of days later it felt better the blazer. Then I put the Programmer on and that was that. I think you might be right about the programmer. GIve it a couples of days before you test. FYI put a octane boost too that helps plenty.

Old 02-16-2006, 07:20 PM
Acer2428 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, it is possible.

But this would result in a lower ETA. 1/4 mile time is a lot about 60'

Those programmers are a load of crap IMHO. I know they are in the mustang world. Plus, not worth the added expense of running premium gas on a 17 second truck. The shift points/firmness is a def. + though.
Also, I don't know how many track passes you've made, but most people get faster as they go as their knowledge, experience, and technique increases.

I would say pull it off, sell it on e-bay

Old 02-16-2006, 11:14 PM
lovetheblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: strongboy2005

Answered my own question...

I set the Hypertech to the power tuning 87 octane and let it sit out there for about an hour. I then took it out to g-tech it. These were my results:

1st run: 18.22 sec @ 73.4 MPH, I was highly discouraged from this run, because it was so slow and indicated that the wait hadn't done anything to "fix" the tuning. Anyways, I was going to just leave and not test anymore, but I decided to try it one more time...

2nd run: 17.41 sec @ 78.7 MPH, my new fastest time... Now I was getting interested... So I ran it again...

3rd run: 17.37 sec @ 78.2 MPH, my new fastest time AGAIN... Ok, so now I was pretty excited and ran it again...

4th run: 17.17 sec @ 80.6 MPH, good Lord... I broke 80 MPH...

Yeah, it was a good day. I have come to the conclusion, after all these tests, that the car's computer takes a little time to accept the power tuning, so back-to-back switches from stock to power tuning are very misleading (by quite a bit). I can now safely say that I would recommend the Hypertech. On premium fuel it took off approximately .25 seconds from my quarter mile, on average...

Hopefully I don't change my mind in the future... It's been a hard few weeks testing this thing...
Is your truck stock right now?
I got those numbers when mine was fully stock and needed a tune-up...just asking 'cause the last time I went to the track after doing a complete tuneup I got 16.1s @ the 1/4 mi and I only have: custom y-pipe, msd blaster coil, fipk 2, performance muffler, gutted cat and throttle blade mod.

Old 02-16-2006, 11:38 PM

ORIGINAL: lovetheblazer

Is your truck stock right now?
I got those numbers when mine was fully stock and needed a tune-up...just asking 'cause the last time I went to the track after doing a complete tuneup I got 16.1s @ the 1/4 mi and I only have: custom y-pipe, msd blaster coil, fipk 2, performance muffler, gutted cat and throttle blade mod.
Bone stock. Maybe my seafoam treatment will fix my numbers up a bit... What did you get (stock) after the tune up? I have no other numbers to go by other than what I have so I didn't know those numbers were that slow...

Old 02-17-2006, 10:40 AM
lovetheblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Did not go to the track after I did the tuneup...I went after I put all the mods...the best was 16.1s...
Yesterday I changed the compressor clutch, compressor pulley and bearings because it was making a strange noise...now the engine cannot even be heard when on...I think I was having a bit of drag with it 'cause it feels peppier now and my idle is smoother...
I am planning to put and MSD 6A ignition and a JBA header...I still have to change the fpr and want to do a fuel injection cleanup...
With all of this I think I might get to the middle 15's...prolly yes or prolly not...but will do this anyways...