General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Red or Green

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 12:37 PM
Jman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Red or Green

Whats the deal with the different colors of antifreeze?
My 95 Blazer has green, and the G/F's 96 Blazer has red.
I hear different pros and cons of the red. The 96 needs a flush, and it gurgles sometimes. Its low and dirty lookin.
Can you mix the red and green.

Thanx
Jason

Old 02-13-2006, 01:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Red or Green

DO NOT mix red and green! Very VERY bad things will happen. The Red antifreeze is GMs Dexcool, an extended life (supposedly) antifreeze that IS much less hazardous to the environment.

If you are planning a flush soon anyway, get a good flush product and follow the directions. After you are done, you should flush everything out with clean water and drain everything again. Then you can fill it up with whatever you choose, red or green. If it were me, I'd go green. The problem with switching, is that you HAVE to make sure all of the old red is out of there!

*EDIT* - I don't have a good recommendation on a flush product cause it has been a VERY long time since I have had to use one. On green only antifreeze systems, I just drain and refill once every other year. With the red, you've got to flush it if you see signs that it has started to go bad (murky and browning color).