General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

steering column start problems????

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 07:27 AM
keithscianna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default steering column start problems????

My 91 s10 blazer has no started for a couple weeks. I went to start her up one morning and all i got was a click. So in the days past i went through everything i could think of and still could not figure it out. So i took it in to a mechanic, He said the steering column is broken and thats why it wont start. My first question is, How can a steering column cause it to not start? It is getting power when i turn they key and the starter clicks and gets hot if the key is held. My second question is, How easy would it be to go to a junkyard and pull a "steering column" ? Thanks,
keith

Old 06-10-2006, 04:12 PM
Default RE: steering column start problems????

Any one have any ideas?? thanks

Old 06-10-2006, 10:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Take it to another mechanic. Mostlikely is the ignition switch in the column that has stopped working... So in a sense, he is pointing at the correct area, but there are other things in a steering column than just the ignition switch.

Old 06-10-2006, 11:22 PM

If the ignition switch goes out will it still turn everything on and make the starter click? I was thinking the same thing but i figured that if the ignition switch was out nothing would turn on. thanks,
keith

Old 06-11-2006, 02:46 AM
kornphlake is an unknown quantity at this point

If the starter just clicks then gets hot but never spins I'd guess the starter has gone bad. Do your dash lights come on still? Can you hear the fuel pump prime for a few seconds after turning the key? Do the headlights come on? It's too bad you don't have a manual transmission or you could try push starting it and eliminate all other electrical systems. If everything else seems to be working but you can't get the starter to turn I'd start with the starter. You can pull the starter and have it tested at an auto parts store for free, it's a pretty straightforward job, just a couple of bolts and a couple of wires, much simpler than trying to find a replacement steering column. Then again if the mechanic says the steering column is bad even if he means the ignition switch he might just be right, afterall even a third rate mechanic would have tested the starter first off.

Old 06-11-2006, 05:24 AM

Yeah i really trust the mechanic he has really helped me out in the past. I think i am just going to head over there on monday and ask him to show me excatly whats wrong. thanks,

Old 06-11-2006, 03:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I was more going along with the steering column diagnosis from your mechanic in stating that the ignition switch may be at fault. It is possible that wires inside have began to break down as well. Or it could be a simple starter problem, but I would have hoped that your mechanic could narrow it down to the starter and not the column.

Sounds like a plan to have him detail out the diagnosis for you. Now given the age of the truck, it may just be easier to grab a scrap yard steering column than try to replace the wiring harness inside the column, but that is up to the mechanic and you.

Old 06-11-2006, 10:12 PM
lowe42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Could also be your selonoid, which is part of your starter, in which case it is easier just to replace the starter if you are a do it yourselfer. Have you had your battery checked, it may be drained and not have enough juice to tell your alternator to turn it over, and you just get one "click" when you turn the key