General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Trouble Code P1406??

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 04:46 PM
dashyman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trouble Code P1406??

The check engine light came on in my 95 Blazer 4.3, this has happend on occasion. I went to Autozone (I know, don't yell at me) and they ran the trouble codes and came up with a code number P1406 - they called it a dealer code, it is not in the Haynes book.

They told me it was associated with the "air Pump"?? and that it was a "dealer code".

They also said that 95 blazers did not have the port to connect the analyzer to and that I must have a 1996 engine in my 95 Blazer (this is autozone - so i took it with a grain of salt).

Can any one shed some light on either the trouble code and what I need to do to fix it?

They reset the codes, but it came back on - in the past after a while the car would start to run rich and I would reset the codes and all woud be OK for a couple 1000 miles.

Thanks for the help

Old 08-14-2006, 05:07 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: Trouble Code P1406??

The P1046 is an egr code, probably due to carbon buildup, try removing the egr and cleaning it out, should help. there are many threads on the site about egr issues.

here is a post by Kyle, hope I'm doin this right!!

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

If, when you remove the EGR valve, you see a scaled buildup on the inside of the EGR feed (from the exhaust manifolds - IIRC, this is the bottom hole), then you'll need to clean it out. I have done this with a steel pipe cleaner (3/4" diameter) and some carbon cleaner. Spray the carbon cleaner up the tube and stop it up so it can't come back out. Wait a bit, then spray some more up in there and work at it with the pipe cleaner. I grabbed my pipe cleaner from the maintenance dept at work, but I think someone else came up with anothe source in another thread.

Once you're all said and done, Leave the EGR valve off and start the vehicle only for a quick instant. It will blow any crap that you broke loose out. I believe it was blazingsadle who first recommended starting it with the EGR valve off and it works great to clean out the supply tube. Just don't be standing in front of the truck when you do it and have it pointed in a safe, clear, and hopefully not clean area because it'll spray carbon and crap for quite a ways.

Good luck.

Old 08-14-2006, 05:07 PM
Beginning Member
moggy59 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's weird, in my Haynes it says P1406 is "EGR Position Sensor Performance".

This post talks to that problem/code:

https://blazerforum.com/m_20451/tm.htm

Hope it helps.

Old 08-14-2006, 05:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I ran into this recently with someone on a newer than '95 vehicle. For them, P1406 was an EGR performance fault. It is an EGR fault of some sort even for your '95. Do you have the CPI motor (tb pointing forward) or the SCFI motor (tb pointing up)?

The problem is that in '95, the PCMs were OBD1.5 (not OBD1 and not quite OBD2). Also, '95 was a transitional year between the older CPI motors and the newer SCFI motors.

Old 08-14-2006, 05:19 PM
dashyman is an unknown quantity at this point

The motor is the CPI, with the throttle opening pointing forward

Old 08-14-2006, 05:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to let someone that knows more about the EGR valve on the CPI motors fill in the blanks. I think it is a bit different from the SCFI EGR location.

Old 08-14-2006, 05:30 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

I would look at if you are fouling spark plugs.