General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

vacuum leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 03:58 AM
magnum434 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default vacuum leak

So a while back I had a vacuum leak of some sort...I wasn't going to try and fix it because I dont know alot about how it works. So i brought it in...it ended up being a "mode door actuator" thats what it said on the paper. But it cost $400 (mainly labor). The problem was that the air wouldnt come out of the correct places...basically always out the defrost. I got it back and it worked...but then....3 weeks later...its back...any ideas? and is there something under that dash that they messed with to make my ABS light come on....it wasnt on before i brought it there..but before i left the shop i saw the light and went back in and told them...they said it was coinsidence. but is there anything ABS related under the dash somewhere?

Old 08-13-2006, 04:19 PM
SJLeemans is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: vacuum leak

magnum:

I had to do the same repair on my '96.

The mode door actuator is just a vaccum powered actuator that, unfortunately, sits behid the dash in a location that requires removal of the dash. The actuator has a diaphram in it that eventually splits because it is actually dual actuated (it has two vaccum lines attachd to it and it goes both ways). All of that extra motion from dual actuation wears it out.

Anyway, either your shop gave you a cheap fix (tried to seal the old one - bad), gave you a bad "new" actuator; or did not get the vaccum line attached properly, and it came off. I guess that it is also possible that they did not get the damper that is attached to the actuator installed properly; and it got stuck.

I'd also check the main vaccum lines under the hood. If the one that feeds the HVAC system is dried and rotting, then it mak be leaking - mine was.

No matter what - I'd say that your shop screwed up; and they need to go back and fix it for freee. While they are at it, I'd tell them to make sure that they have hooked up all of wiring properly this time - because there is a lot of it they have to disconnect to remove the dash; and I bet they missed something or didn't get it all properly reconnected.

Old 08-13-2006, 05:43 PM
1996BZR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: vacuum leak

I hate it when shops srew people like that... My friend had to get his hinge pins replaced on the driver side door of his 1998 gmc pickup. The dealership he took it to charged $95 to replace them. He didn't tell me anything about replacing the pins, or I would have done it for free, of course he would have the $15 for two pins and would have to hold the door for me, but man 95 dollars? Then this same person in the same truck needed a new starter, took it to the same dealership, and had to pay $285.96 to get a new one put on. Once again, didn't tell me anything about it until it was already done.

Old 08-14-2006, 09:11 PM
tammikm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: pins

$95 not a bad price for pin replacement, I just had an estimate or $175.00 per door here at the local dealer plus tax, so I decided to try it myself, got the pins and bushings from ebay and have the pring tool coming aswell, any tips for a smooth replacement would be great!!

thanks

Old 08-14-2006, 10:28 PM
1996BZR is an unknown quantity at this point

have something to hold the door up. Like a friend or 5 gallon bucket or something. One of the biggest problems is getting the spring in and out. But since you got the tool already, it will be easier. Do one door at a time, so you will know which way the pins go back in. The two bushings are different sized, or at least mine were. $175 a door? I think that's ridiculous!! (is that how you spell that word?)

Old 08-14-2006, 11:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ok... 1996BZR, if you don't have anything constructive to add pertaining to the question asked by the author, please do not post. Your post has spun this thread completely offtopic.

Old 08-14-2006, 11:49 PM
Beginning Member
moggy59 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone recommend where to get the actuator? I am having the same type of
problem with the defrost door and I will probably replace the actuator if I remove
the dash just to have a new one in there. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:19 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

I checked on gmpartsdirect.com and they list the part as no longer available through them because of either a part# change or the part has been discontinued... you will have to either check with you local dealership or start hunting the local wrecking yards for a similar item.

Old 08-15-2006, 07:48 AM
Starting Member
Aquahallic is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're good with electronics you could switch it over to electric actuators... you'd have to do some code on a microprocessor and use the truth table that pertains to your vehicles vacuum actuators (ie. when in Max A/C what actuators are actually bein' pulled open/closed by vacuum) but they make all kinds of electric actuators... OR you could look into pneumatic robotics. They use all kinds of air actuated rams and solenoids.... Of course that's IF you can't find new ones or suitable used ones...

Old 08-15-2006, 10:15 AM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes you can still get these from any G.M. dealer get me the last 8 digits of your VIN and I'll get you a good discount on it if you want.

Quick Reply: vacuum leak