General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Wheel Hub Bearing Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 03:11 PM
Chavez96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wheel Hub Bearing Replacement

I recently took my 96' 4X4 Blazer to a Chevy dealership because there was a grinding sound coming from my left front wheel (it felt like a bearing issue to me.....NOT a brake issue). They said that I needed new brake calipers, rotors, brake lines, and wheel hub bearings.........they said it would cost $2,000.

I said don't do anything, then I brought it back to my garage. I believe I can get by with just changing the wheel hub bearings (the brakes feel and work just fine). Dumping 2 grand into my vehicle at point isn't really an option. I believe a few members of this board have done this procedure before.

Could someone please describe this procedure and the tools needed. I'm pretty good with doing mechanical jobs if I know what needs to be done. I work on my motorcycle all the time. This is my first post and this board rocks.

Old 09-20-2006, 04:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Wheel Hub Bearing Replacement

Welcome!

As far as wheel bearing replacement, it should be a simple swap. You will need a 36mm deep socket for removing the axle nut and possibly a puller to press the driveshaft out of the bearing hub. I would remove the axle nut first. Then remove the bolts holding the bearing to the steering knuckle. Finally, remove the bearing assembly from the axle (using a pulley puller if necessary). Take care not to pull too much on the axle shaft when removing the bearing assembly.