General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

White smoke puffs at start up.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 05:48 AM
SniperX13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default White smoke puffs at start up.

Ok, typically, everytime I start her, she gives a nice puff of white smoke from the tailpipe. It's pure white, with no tinge of color to it. It's a pretty think puff, as it is still dense when it drifts past the hood. It doesn't idle rough, or hard start. she fires up nicely, oil pressure is good.

could it be she might be a tad rich and it's excess fuel burnoff?

Old 06-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Dory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: White smoke puffs at start up.

I had something like that once in another car, it was I believe "blow by"... the rings were allowing leakage. Just a tiny amount though, so when I'd fire the car up, I'd get that. I think it was antifreeze... Geez sometimes I hate my memory... I think that leaks too sometimes!!!

Old 06-07-2006, 10:45 AM

so what would be a good remedy to fix this? or is it safe to just let it be for now?

Old 06-07-2006, 12:27 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Dory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the rough

"For now" its not horrible... but to repair it, your looking at a bit of work.

Old 06-07-2006, 12:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That is IF it is ring problems. And that is a big if. Blowby would be more of a constant and would actually happen more when the engine is running than upon initial startup. Now if it were valve seals dripping down onto the valves, it may have more of an effect on initial startup, but both of these cases would cause your plug(s) to show some signs of oil contamination.

It may just be condensation left in the exhaust from it cooling down when you start it back up.

Have you tried smelling this puff of smoke? The speculations can run rampant...

Old 06-07-2006, 10:58 PM
Annekat91 is an unknown quantity at this point

My '91 2 dr S-10 Blazer does the same thing, just at start-up if it has been sitting awhile. It stops right away. The previous owner told me about it and cited the valve seals as Kyle suggested. I've had it into a couple of shops for other things, and they must have seen it but didn't mention it, so I've been thinking of it as not that big a deal, since the engine runs well and doesn't use a lot of oil. But I do think of it as sign that the engine is aging (unless it is just left over condensation, as Kyle also suggested).

I'm curious how many miles you have on your '91, SniperX13. Mine has about 150,600.

Anne

Old 06-07-2006, 11:31 PM

I have roughly 144,000 miles on her. If no one seems overtly concerned, and the fact that I am not in the same boat.... I take it it is not something to be seriously concerned about. Maybe when I go and get a full tune up on her, it might help.

Old 06-08-2006, 03:10 AM

ORIGINAL: SniperX13

I have roughly 144,000 miles on her. If no one seems overtly concerned, and the fact that I am not in the same boat.... I take it it is not something to be seriously concerned about. Maybe when I go and get a full tune up on her, it might help.
That's the same number of miles mine had when I got it in early 2005. I got a full tune-up about 1500 miles later, and that didn't help the white smoke thing...... but you're probably right, it's not much to worry about as long as everything else seems OK..... I'd just ask them about it when you get the tune-up (which I forgot to do).

Anne

Old 06-08-2006, 03:29 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: SniperX13

Ok, typically, everytime I start her, she gives a nice puff of white smoke from the tailpipe. It's pure white, with no tinge of color to it. It's a pretty think puff, as it is still dense when it drifts past the hood. It doesn't idle rough, or hard start. she fires up nicely, oil pressure is good.

could it be she might be a tad rich and it's excess fuel burnoff?
Is it only in the morning after sitting all night (cold) or does it do it when the engine is warm on every startup.

If only after sitting overnight then I might consider it condensation from the exhaust system cooling down. If it does it every time cold or warm then I would start looking at other areas for water getting in to the combustion process. You might have a lower intake manifold water leak at the water passages caused by the coolant being contaminated somehow. "Thick" white smoke is never a good sign, but if it dissipates soon after leaving the tailpipe then I would not worry, just keep an eye on oil and coolant levels, also make sure there is no water in the oil.

Old 06-11-2006, 03:00 AM

Mine does it when I start it in the morning or after it has been sitting for a little while during the day, like maybe an hour or more. It doesn't do it on every start up, and especially not when it is warm. I see it in the side view mirror and it is quite noticeable for 2 or 3 seconds as it drifts toward the front and then dissipates. While it is very visible, I would not really call it thick. I guess I prefer to think it is oil dripping past the valve seals and then burning on start up, rather than an internal water leak....... but I will keep and eye on the coolant and the oil.

Anne
'91 S-10 Blazer