General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Year differences?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 02:53 PM
Starting Member
KA3AX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Year differences?

Hey

Can someone please list the year range for ALL the blazers that exist. What years were the same (ex. 95-97 should be identical, right?), and what years did chevy change even the little things. If some one could do that, I would really appreciate!

Also, do Chevy Blazer, GMC Jimmy, and Oldsmobile Bravada have the same engine, transmition, transfer case and everything esle?

Thanks

Old 04-04-2006, 03:44 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Year differences?

Man your asking for a long list.
The S10-Blazer has been in production for over 20 years. They made changes every year. I think the best source from 88 on is MSN.com Autos. They have a summary from year to year. Realize that Chvey dropped the S10 in later years, and started calling them Blazers. Don't confuse Blazers with the K5 Blazers or the TrailBlazer. Happy hunting.

Anything in specific your looking for?

Old 04-04-2006, 09:31 PM
Starting Member

Thanx man, Yes, I'm wondering what engine will fit PERFECTLY in my 1997 Blazer, my guess is 95-97 right?

Also, will the same year range (95 or 96 or 97) GMC Jimmy and Oldsmobile Bravada engine, transmission, and transfer case fit in my Blazer, I mean (all the wires, plugs and EVERYTHING, PERFECTLY)??? Or do I have to get an identical 1997 Chevrolet Blazer engine, transmission, and transfer case?

Another Also, is there ANY difference in the engine, transmission, and transfer case or anything else at all between the 2 door Blazer and 4 door Blazer?

Thanks in advance

Old 04-04-2006, 09:48 PM
Jman is an unknown quantity at this point

95 is an oddball year. The motors are the same but uses a different injection system. CPI I think. My girlfriends 96 is completely different then my 95.

Old 04-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Starting Member

What about 96 and 97? Are they the same?

Also, is there ANY difference between 2 door and 4 door blazers? Particularly the engine, tranny, and transfer case?

Thanks

Old 04-05-2006, 06:14 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Typically the S10-Blazers from '91 on come with only a 4.3L V6 fuel injected engine. Now there are some minor differences between years in the fuel injection system and there are some years that had two versions, and in '93 they went to a internal balance shaft in the S10s. Check your vin number. I think it is the 8th digit. Typically as long as you use the donor engine and computer everything else should work, see transmission differences below.

2dr blazers had the option of a stick shift manual tranny, and most 4drs are auto trannies. Prior to '93 the auto tranny was a 700R4/4L60. '93 and after is a 4L60E tranny. The 4L60E tranny is run by the computer, and it is best to have the engine/tranny/computer from the donor truck, especially in later years. They work as a team.

There is a difference in trannies length between 2wdr and 4wdr trannies. No big deal if you can swap the output shaft and the adapter/tailhousing to fit your truck. However if this is beyond your budget or skill level, go with a tranny from a truck that is the same as yours, 2wheel drive or 4wheel drive. Preferable attached to the engine and computer your getting.

If you have a 4wdr version, the t-case will be a push button unit. There is a difference in a AWD and 4x4 truck t-cases. I think the Bravada comes with the AWD t-case, while the S10-Blazer is a 4wdr version.

Heres the kicker. The 4.3L engine, 700R4/4L60/4L60E is offered in all sorts of vehicles. Basically everything 1/2 ton and down. This includes fullsize pick-ups/SUV's, Vans, S10-Blazers/Bravadas, and even in cars. There are thousands of them out there, ready willing and available at salvage yards. I recommend getting a truck combo, and either 4wdr or 2wdr, which ever you currently have.

Old 04-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Starting Member

Is there any difference in 2door and 4door blazer engines, trannys, and transfer case, and everything else like that?

Thanx