TrailBlazer GMT360/GMT370 (2002-2009) Tech Have a 2002-2009 Trailblazer, Envoy, Bravada or Rainier? Post your general tech questions here.

Fuel Filter location

Old 02-25-2006, 07:48 PM
meglog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel Filter location

Hi. I am new to the forum and I do not know if there is a way to search for previous threads about fuel filters so I am just going to ask my question. I have a2002 TB with the 4.2L 2WD. It has seemed a bit sluggish since I bought it during the summer. Additives havent done the trick so i bought a fuel filter to see if that worked. Only problem is that I dont know where it is located on the truck. Does anyone know where to find it? Any thing in particular that I need to know before I get under the car? Is there a notorious culprit when it comes to these trucks being sluggish? Any help would be great.

Old 02-25-2006, 10:15 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Fuel Filter location

Hello, your fuel filter shouldn't need replacement this soon. It's only 4 yrs old now. How many miles on it?
Don't waste your $ on high octane fuel. Unless you had internal mods installed and or the PCM flashed.
The filter should be under the vehicle near the fuel tank. If not, it's in the fuel tank.

Some other TSB and recall stuff for your viewing pleasure. Good luck and happy motoring.
Trouble Spots

Automatic transmission: The transmission may get stuck in third gear and the instrument panel may stop working due to failure of the ignition switch. (1999-03)

Climate control: Climate control and radio presets may get mixed up due to their placement near the driver's door. Reprogramming the body control computer to prevent changes when vehicle is in gear would fix the problem. (2002)

Electrical problem: The fan may run excessively and/or the transmission may shift late, requiring reprogramming of the engine control computer. (2002)

Engine mounts: Cylinder liners were cracking on4.2L engines and the engine warranty was extended to 7 years/100,000 miles. (2002)

None: The 4WD range indicator may read incorrectly and the service 4WD light may glow due to faulty 4WD switch on the dash. (2002-03)

Consumer GuideĀ® Estimated Repair Costs
This table lists costs of likely repairs for comparison with other vehicles. The dollar amount includes the cost of the part(s) and labor (based on $50 per hour) for the typical repair without extras or add-ons. Like the pricing information, replacement costs can vary widely depending on region. Expect charges at a new-car dealership to be slightly higher.

Item Name Repair Cost

A/C Compressor $510
Alternator $640
Automatic Transmission or Transaxle $1,950
Brakes $600
Constant Velocity Joints $1,325
Exhaust System $375
Radiator $425
Shocks and/or Struts $1,105
Timing Chain or Belt $650

NHTSA Recall History
2002: 4WD vehicles may roll out of -Park+ due to the gear not staying engaged. Dealers will update the transfer case control module.

2002: Certain vehicles may have faulty welding on the third-row seat, causing it to come off the floor in the event of a crash. Dealers will inspect and replace affected parts.

2002: Front passenger and driver seat belt retractors may become inoperative, resulting in the occupant being improperly restrained during braking. Dealers will inspect and replace affected parts.

2002: The front lower control arm brackets may fracture, causing possible loss of vehicle control. Dealers will inspect and replace affected parts.

2002: The fuel filter fitting may become disengaged, causing a no-start condition and fuel spillage. Dealers will inspect and replace affected parts.

2002: The instrument panel cluster may not power up when the vehicle is started. Dealers will inspect and replace affected parts.

2002: The transfer case of some vehicles may contain cracks, resulting in a loss of gear range. Dealers will inspect and replace affected parts.

2002-03: Driver visibility may become impaired due to faulty windshield wipes. Dealers will inspect and replace affected parts.

2002-03: Due to an override function, some vehicles+ ignition key can be removed in a position other than park. Dealers will correct this override.

2002-03: The driver+s side airbag inflator may fracture upon impact and strike occupants and the cushion may not inflate properly. Dealers will inspect and replace affected parts.

2002-03: The owner+s manual does not adequately explain the child restraint system. Dealers will distribute a supplement to the manual.

2002-04: Heat and vibration may cause some tail lamps to loosen and eventually become inoperative. Dealers will inspect and replace affected parts.

Old 02-25-2006, 10:20 PM
blazin97 is on a distinguished road

if its like the blazers its on the drivers side frame rail right behind the 1st doors.

Old 02-26-2006, 07:41 PM
meglog is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the input. I will try looking near the fuel tank. It has about 72000 miles on it. I am just trying the cheapest possible option first to see if there are any improvements. Might run a little seafoam through it to see if that helps hesitation. Hopefully the filter is not in the tank. Dont want to deal with that.

Old 02-26-2006, 08:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Your fuel filter should look like the one pictured below. It should be located along the drivers side frame rail as stated above. I do agree that with that many miles, your fuel filter could be at fault. Especially if your area goes through some pretty decent temperature swings that may cause condensation in the fuel. You may also want to try a can of IsoHeat in the tank to disolve any water that may be present.

Seafoam is a great product, but as far as fuel injection cleaners that get put into the tank go, Chevron is one of the best I have ever tried. I put a bottle in the tank when I fill up after every oil change in all of my vehicles as does the rest of my family. Chevron seriously helped my Grandpa's '91 S-10 2.8L that had some serious and repeated injector clogging. After 2 tank fulls with Chevron, the problem disappeared much as it did with other fuel injector additives we tried, but the problem hasn't come back since using Chevron.

Good Luck and let us know how your repairs go.

[IMG]local://upfiles/667/4C1B3D63AA544671B86722F9BE5B37C2.jpg[/IMG]

*EDIT* - Almost forgot:
Removal Procedure:

Important - Inspect the fuel tank internally and clean the fuel tank if you find a restricted fuel filter. Refer to Fuel System Cleaning .

1. Relieve the fuel system pressure. Refer to the Fuel Pressure Relief Procedure .
2. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.

Important - Due to an access hole in the fuel tank shield, removal of the shield should not be necessary to access the fuel filter.

3. Only if necessary remove the fuel tank shield. Refer to Fuel Tank Shield Replacement in Frame and Underbody.

Notice - Clean all of the following areas before performing any disconnections in order to avoid possible contamination in the system:
* The fuel pipe connections
* The hose connections
* The areas surrounding the connections

Important - The quick connect retaining clips will remain with the fuel filter.

4. Disconnect the quick connect fittings from the fuel filter. Refer to Quick Connect Fitting(s) Service (Plastic Collar) .
5. Cap the fuel pipes in order to prevent possible fuel system contamination.
[IMG]local://upfiles/667/88860F8F89F94F5EB1DC95AC8918D772.gif[/IMG]
6. Remove the fuel filter bracket screw (2).
7. Remove the fuel filter (1) from the bracket.
It looks like your fuel filter is located on the drivers side front of the fuel tank.

Old 02-27-2006, 03:17 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I run 10% ethanol mixed 89 octane gas. Rarely do I have any fuel system problems. Typically it is the least expensive gas as well, at least where I buy it. The ethanol helps keep the fuel system clean.