TrailBlazer GMT360/GMT370 (2002-2009) Tech Have a 2002-2009 Trailblazer, Envoy, Bravada or Rainier? Post your general tech questions here.

Thinking about a Trailblazer/Tahoe or Envoy/Yukon

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 11:22 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Thinking about a Trailblazer/Tahoe or Envoy/Yukon

Well as this truck gets up there in mileage and problems, I have been saving up for it's replacement in a year or two. I was considering a Trailblazer, Envoy, Tahoe or Yukon. I have a few questions:

1. What are the known issues with the Trailblazer and Tahoe that I should look for?

2. How is the 4.2L? I realize the 5.3L is very difficult to find for the Trailblazer.

3. My first intention when I get a new truck is to have a trans cooler installed, have the ATF and all the fluids changed, and put in a cold air intake. I am putting cash aside for that as part of the purchase. Any ideas? Do they make good coolers and CAIs that fit?

4. I am trying to find one for a reasonable price under 45k miles. What else should I look for when I am checking out a potential buy? I am going to have a mechanic check out the vehicle before I buy it.

5. How are the front ends, intake gaskets, brakes, fuel pumps and transmissions on those trucks?

6. I realize the newer vehicles have OnStar. I have no need for it, I am not paying for it and I also know the information security/privacy risks behind it, how do I remove it from the Trailblazer? I know it is alot more than pulling a fuse or two. I want everything out except the rearview mirror (antennas, module, etc). If I buy a car from a Chevy dealer, can I make the purchase contingent on them removing it prior to sale?

7. What is involved in putting a new radio in the newer trucks with the complicated wiring and modules? I want to get a unit with MP3 CD/AUX IN/USB or move the one from the Jimmy to it.

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 03-18-2013 at 03:00 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:21 PM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

computernerd,,, i cant comment on most of your questions,but i do have a co-worker that purchaced a trailblazer and has the 6 cyl engine inline...
and gas milage is terrible, other than that he comments that the ride is good and quiet all the comfort features a fine, like the vehicle so he lets his wife drive it, she hardly goes anywhere..

Old 10-23-2021, 09:49 AM
cage47 is on a distinguished road

I'm a long time S10 Blazer owner but just recently moved up to a 2005 trailblazer. I'm still learning their differences but here's what I do know.

2. teh 4.2 v6 is very capable. I'd say it's comparable to the 4.3 in the s10 blazer. I get about 21mpg in my 2000 s10 blazer with 184k miles and am getting average 19.5 mpg in the 2005 TB with 178k miles on it.

6. The onstar unit is located under the rear passenger seat. you can simply unplug the two wire plugs and leave it or simply take the unit out. It will not affect your drivability at all. takes about 4 minutes. Vids on youtube.

7. replacing stereo units in chevy's in general is pretty straight forward. There are third party wiring harnesses that plug right in. And double-din mounting brackets. I recently installed a descent little unit in my 2000 blazer that has a usb slot and bluetooth connectivity so I can talk hands free. $50 at walmart. Nice. One thing I will mention, here in Texas the heat bakes all plastics and makes the dash bezel (face panel) brittle. When pulling it off the areas to the left around the vent and the light switch are not so beefy and have a tendency to crack.