Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

'01 4.3 PCM Tune / Wait4MePerformance ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 08:28 AM
Beginning Member
Baddogkuzz is on a distinguished road
Default '01 4.3 PCM Tune / Wait4MePerformance ?

I have a stock '01 Trailblazer 4.3 4x4 and the old girl runs great at 188k but the mpg is really is bad!!! Like 11-14mpg around town but straight highway I can still get 20mpg if I keep my foot out of it. Mind you this is my wifes dailly driver and it get alot wear and tear. So I am looking to get some tunes to improve mileage I am happy with hp output as is. I am wondering if any of you guys are running Jesse's / wait4me performance tunes? He is only about 50 miles from me and I am thinking of taking it to him have live data run and live tuned.

Last edited by Baddogkuzz; 11-30-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:07 PM
Beginning Member
Shtbox is on a distinguished road

Did you ever do it??

Old 01-20-2014, 08:54 AM
Beginning Member
Baddogkuzz is on a distinguished road

Well I emailed & called him and I never got an answer back. So with that being said there is NO way I trust him to do tuning for me. If I can't get him to get back to me when I want to spend money with him, I am sure he would blow me off if I had a problem.

I wish I could find a good tuner at a fair price for my Trailblazer. I just don't want to $350-$500 on tunes to get an 1mpg or 10hp. I guess there aren't any guys here running tunes. If so I would love to hear more.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:44 AM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Look for slight leakage from fuel injectors or a heater in O2 sensors.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:51 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

I got a PCM4LESS tune in my '01 Jimmy. They claim a 10 to 20hp gain and I'd say it does that along with a few miles per gallon difference in fuel economy as long as you stay out of the throttle. I went from 16mpg average on my drives to and from work to 19mpg just with the tune. Added a CAI and some other things and gained another couple of mpg then blew that gain out of the water with an HO alt and bigger tires, lol. The truck was noticeably peppier and had better pull throughout the RPM range than it did before the tune. I really didn't notice much of a difference in power with the other stuff but I could see it on the mileage. Before I drowned the old engine I was getting about 18mpg average. I've not put enough miles on the new engine before the trans went to see how it would do with the tuned PCM, CAI and other mods.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:15 PM
KM346 will become famous soon enough

FWIW, I have a wait4me tuned pcm sitting in my toolbox right now. I installed it in the truck but it threw a p0300 almost instantly, and would flash the CEL at anything over 3K rpm. I figured maybe i needed a CASE relearn done since it was a new PCM, but Jesse told me i didn't have to with my 2001 (which is not what Ive read ).

Maybe one day ill try to sort it out, but Ive been too busy latley.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:19 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

KM346, If the PCM is replaced, the relearn is mandatory.** Any place that does PCM work should know that. The relearn "tells" the PCM exactly where the magnetic field from the crankshaft position sensor is focused, in relation to the tone ring on the crankshaft. When the relearn is performed, the data is burned to a file in the PCM and it remains there until the next relearn is done, (disconnecting the battery does not affect the data). If you don't do the relearn, the PCM will use the data from the last relearn, which is not correct, guaranteed. The engine will still start and run, but not properly. Ignition timing, injector timing, cylinder misfire detection and cylinder misfire identification will all be incorrect. P0300 is to be expected without doing the relearn too. Really ought to check camshaft retard as well, it can also set P0300 series DTC's if it's not within spec. It needs to be checked/adjusted each time the distributor is moved, removed, replaced, or disturbed.

**if the crankshaft position sensor or timing cover is moved, removed, replaced, or disturbed in any way, the crankshaft position sensor relearn must be performed for the same reasons described above.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:46 AM
Beginning Member
Shtbox is on a distinguished road

Dang sounds like wait 4 me doesn't want to make money anymore lol i live down the street from Nelson perfomance and lethal perfomance so I guess a in person tune ain't a problem mail order sounds sketchy lol