Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Air cleaner mod 05 blazer is it possible???

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 11:09 PM
Beginning Member
Blazer2005 is on a distinguished road
Default Air cleaner mod 05 blazer is it possible???

Would like to modify my 05 chevy blazer air
Intake system with a air cleaner is it possible
Or a lost cause wondering if anybody thought
Or attempted it?

Attached Thumbnails Air cleaner mod 05 blazer is it possible???-image.jpg  

Last edited by Blazer2005; 05-11-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:34 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Well you'd need to relocate the MAF sensor at least (which would be difficult at best), and I'm sure there's a crank case vent in there somewhere too. Not to mention any hood clearance issues as well.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:52 AM
Beginning Member

Could I replace the crank case vent hose with an air breather
Or is that something not to mess with?

Last edited by Blazer2005; 05-12-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:30 PM
Starting Member
Robt77 is on a distinguished road

Why? It seams like a lot of work for nothing, Why not a cold air intake or something that will give you more benefit. not only do you need to relocate the maf, you need to relocate the air intake temp sensor, and possibly more. All of this stuf works together, to provide the perfect air fuel ratio. You might as well bolt a carb on there, which would be kinda cool, but probably not legal anywhere within 2000 miles of California.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:00 PM
Beginning Member

ya true just a thought thanks for the input
I have one on there now I'll put a full kit on Instead

Old 05-13-2014, 08:29 AM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

You wouldn't gain much from a filter setup like that. In fact it would probably do more harm than good... Let's say that you DO get the crankcase ventilation hose, air intake temp sensor, and air flow meter somehow relocated to work with it, and let's assume that there would actually be enough clearance for the hood to shut, you're just going to be scavenging hot air coming up from the engine and accumulating at the hood. Plus, moving all the sensors around would probably cause all kinds of issues like MPG, power, rough running, and more than likely throw the check engine light on. There's a reason quality aftermarket intakes keep the factory sensors close to their factory location.

Best option is a cheap kit online with a cone filter if you just have to have some sort of aftermarket intake. I got lucky to find one in the junkyard I work in on another 4.3 Blazer and I just bought a new filter for it. Uses factory plastic elbow that sits on the throttle body so that keeps the crankcase ventilation, has a port in the tube to accommodate the intake temp sensor, and the air flow meter is easy enough to attach with just a couple of couplers. Keeps the two sensors close to factory locations.

Granted, this type of intake isn't going to do much for power or MPG either, and I knew this going into it, but it at least shouldn't hurt it... About all it's going to do is make a deep throaty sound when you step on the skinny pedal. And I'm fine with that

Old 05-13-2014, 10:02 AM
Starting Member
Robt77 is on a distinguished road

I was just thinking about cold air intakes, and super chargers and stuff, and in my mind I couldn't figure out how they would help with anything besides peak horse power. If you think about it no matter what your computer is going to do everything in its power to create a 14.7:1 air fuel ratio, so unless you are at full throttle you are only going to use as much air and fuel as you need and the rest just gets sent back to the gas tank. I cant even figure out how a dirty air filter could hurt you that bad at cruising around town speeds. I still plan on keeping mine clean.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:39 AM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Robt77
I was just thinking about cold air intakes, and super chargers and stuff, and in my mind I couldn't figure out how they would help with anything besides peak horse power. If you think about it no matter what your computer is going to do everything in its power to create a 14.7:1 air fuel ratio, so unless you are at full throttle you are only going to use as much air and fuel as you need and the rest just gets sent back to the gas tank. I cant even figure out how a dirty air filter could hurt you that bad at cruising around town speeds. I still plan on keeping mine clean.
think about this:

a 4 stoke engine has, as the name says, 4 strokes

1) intake
2) compression
3) combustion
4) exhaust

On the first stroke, intake, the piston is moving down in the cylinder and drawing the air in from the intake manifold and threw the filter creating a suction (vacuum). The more free flowing that intake run is, the easier it is for the engine to draw air in, thus less power is needed from the other cylinders to turn the crank and pull that piston down to suck the air in. A dirty filter is going to restrict that movement and cause the other cylinders to work that much harder, thus making the engine less efficient, which equals less mpg. On the same note, forced induction be it from a turbo or supercharger is actually forcing air into the cylinder threw the intake, creating FAR less work for the rest of the engine, which frees up and a lot of extra power and opens up the mpg potential of the engine, thus why companies like Ford are going big with their Ecoboost engines and getting great mileage from them. On that intake stroke is also when you're adding your fuel to the mixture. The more air you can get in, the more fuel you can get in. And the more air/fuel you can get in, the bigger the "bang" so to speak on the combustion stroke, which equals more power, which means not having to apply as much throttle to get desired performance, which in turn leads to better mpg. On the exhaust stroke is when all those burnt fumes are expelled from the cylinder. Just as with the intake, on the exhaust stroke, the better air can flow out, the easier it is on the motor, thus why a well thought out and tuned exhaust can give better mileage and power just as a well thought out intake can. But an exhaust can be more difficult since you have to worry about needing a little back pressure to get the scavenging effect between multiple cylinders, and that's all going to be different from one engine to another. But that is why someone gutting cats and muffles from their V8 and just slapping straight pipes on it is going to be sorely disappointed if they're expecting it to give them any sort of power increase... only thing they're going to do is **** off neighbors lol.

Best explanation I was given is, think of a 4 stroke engine as just a big complex air pump. The easier you can get air in and out, the more efficient it's going to be.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:45 PM
Beginning Member

Looks like a nice setup there, since I have 2 stock air box systems
One from my first car aka (pos) 2001 gmc
Jimmy 2wd, and one from my current ride 2005
Chevy blazer, I was staring at the stock air box
System and decided I'm going to do alittle modding
To it, will post pics tomarrow of the prosses!