Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Need help deciding on exhaust and intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 09:43 AM
Beginning Member
Bhahn25 is on a distinguished road
Default Need help deciding on exhaust and intake

I have 2000 blazer that is bone stock. I want to get sone more power out of it and even some mpg's if I can. I would like a new intake system and exhaust but what is a good intake for the price? And also what kind of muffler sounds good on the 4.3?

Old 04-13-2011, 10:27 AM
Starting Member
88Vic is on a distinguished road

The stock intake isn't too bad, you can buy Spectre pieces to replace the ribbed tube but the stock airbox works fine. As for exhaust Dynomax makes the Super Turbo catback for Blazers, unfortunitely 2000 is the first year for the more expensive catback, not sure what changed from 99 but the '00-04 catback is different and costs more. It's $170 but that includes the muffler and a larger 2.5" tailpipe, plus there's a $75 rebate to bring the cost way down.

I'd go for that if I were you. It's not a stainless catback but you could buy some header paint and paint it before you install it, would help it to last a lot longer. You could do a coat of header paint as a primer then buy some ceramic coating and coat the whole catback, that should last the life of the truck if you keep the underside clean.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:32 AM
Beginning Member

O ok lol so where can you get that cat back system? And I might replace that ribbed tubeing not sure yet.

I found it on jegs. That sounds like a pretty good deal what does it sound like? Like the loudness and pitch

Last edited by swartlkk; 04-15-2011 at 07:32 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:45 AM
TMM217 is on a distinguished road

i used a Flowmaster Original 40 Muffler. Sounds great! If you want to sample some exhaust sounds youtube has some videos on different setups. Search: 4.3 vortec exhaust that should help ya out. It did for me

Old 04-13-2011, 10:53 AM
Beginning Member

Alright thanks guys that was a lotta help

Old 04-13-2011, 10:58 AM
TMM217 is on a distinguished road

Let us know what u go with and how it worked out for ya

Old 04-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Beginning Member

Alright I will

Old 04-15-2011, 11:13 AM
Starting Member
88Vic is on a distinguished road

Check out this guy's Blazer, he has the Super Turbo catback and I think it sounds great, a little sound but not too loud at all, and it'll get louder as the packing burns out:

YouTube - 1995 Chevy Blazer 4.3L V6 Dynomax Super-Turbo Catback

Old 04-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Beginning Member

Yea that sounds good. I think that's what I'm gonna go with whenever I get the money. I like it because it's not just real loud and it has a good sound to it.

So you guys think the stock air intake is good enough and it's not worth getting a cold air intake?

Last edited by swartlkk; 04-15-2011 at 07:43 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:11 PM
danb2760 is on a distinguished road

i have a 95 that i build custom intake (removed the boxes and its just straight to the cone, still have the peice that bolts on fan guard on, its stock untill right after that then its that crome plastic from advance and turns down and i have a K&N cone, i got the cone filter was actually the same price as the drop in filter) as for my exhaust, its the stock set up in a way, if you can weld(like i did) the possibilities are endless, mine has a flange on the cat so i bought a flange and welded it to a flowmaster super 44, and ran a dynomax 2.5 inch tailpipe and cut it just before the tow hitch and welded a dual tip with angle cut rolled ends, it sounds great to me (i even thought about the flowmaster super 10 but i think id get pulled over for that in virgnia lol), unfortunatly the new the blazer it seems the less room you have to work exhaust, mines a 2 door 4x4 and the 20gal tank is in the very back, that leaves almost no room for dual exhaust, but im happy with my single set up, good luck let me know what you go with! mine has that deep truck idle roar to it and fortunatly these 4.3ls (single cats dont know about the double cats) actually sound pretty beastly, think about it, i havent ever seen a v6 bigger than a 4.3 262, actually the 262 used to be a V8 back in the day,so a 4.3l is almost in a way a big block v6 lol, as far as my new intake, its really cool to listen to it suck in the air, and the throttle response is amazing and going up hill it really sets you back in the seat, i notice mine most between 3500rpm and 5000, its like it hits a sweet spot that just lays you back even further and takes off

Last edited by danb2760; 04-25-2011 at 12:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Need help deciding on exhaust and intake