Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Swiss cheese airbox mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 10:49 AM
Beginning Member
Stumpalump is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LoneWolf71
Nice, thanks for the pics! Nice tires too! So did you feel or gain anything by doing this?
A little better response when you roll the throttle. Typical lively CAI feel without the sound.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:34 PM
Beginning Member
Radar696 is on a distinguished road

This looks like something I just might try.
I know I'm little late to this thread but any chance of getting you to post a little more information of just what you did?
I'm also assuming that you just pressed those tubes in so that can remove them if you need to pull out the air-box.

Thanks,
Radar

Old 08-07-2018, 10:58 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

The program of a vehicle's PCM is set for a predetermined air/fuel ratio. If you start bringing in more air, as signalled by the MAF, without reprogramming the PCM the engine will add more fuel to the mix to keep the same ratio. What have you achieved? More fuel use, same power.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:33 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rriddle3
The program of a vehicle's PCM is set for a predetermined air/fuel ratio. If you start bringing in more air, as signalled by the MAF, without reprogramming the PCM the engine will add more fuel to the mix to keep the same ratio. What have you achieved? More fuel use, same power.
So are the PCM and the fuel/air system set up to account for the air-flow impedance of the stock air intake? I would think that unless air is being forced into the engine via a scoop or compressor (e.g. a turbo or blower), having a greater cross-sectional area for air inlet for the filter box would only mean that the engine does less work to draw in the air so that less fuel is necessary to overcome this resistance. Am I missing something?

Even if I am right, I'd have to look up the impedance of air flow through openings to see if at the air flow of our engines (500 cfm max?) if increasing the cross-sectional area would make a significant difference or not.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:47 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by christine_208
So are the PCM and the fuel/air system set up to account for the air-flow impedance of the stock air intake? I would think that unless air is being forced into the engine via a scoop or compressor (e.g. a turbo or blower), having a greater cross-sectional area for air inlet for the filter box would only mean that the engine does less work to draw in the air so that less fuel is necessary to overcome this resistance. Am I missing something?

Even if I am right, I'd have to look up the impedance of air flow through openings to see if at the air flow of our engines (500 cfm max?) if increasing the cross-sectional area would make a significant difference or not.
Yes Christie,I agree with you.
By doing this you are only allowing an easier airflow into the air filter box itself.
It does nothing to alter the MAF sensors readings.

It's no different than putting in a cold air intake system only, it's a lot less expensive and not as pretty when you lift the hood.
At the same time it will still keep water from splashing up into the underside of the air box.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:29 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

This will do nothing for performance as these trucks are computer controlled. Any changes will be adjusted back to stock by the pcm

Old 08-08-2018, 08:23 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by newguy
This will do nothing for performance as these trucks are computer controlled. Any changes will be adjusted back to stock by the pcm
Newguy,

All this does is make it a little easier for the air to get into the air box.
I has nothing to do with the PCM.
I'm not altering anything that will affect the computer system.

If you read earlier in this thread it was mentioned that the size of the OEM inlet into the airbox is smaller than the flex tube feeding the throttle-body.

Radar