Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

throttle blade mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 03:34 AM
Beginning Member
ozzman39 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by slcblazer
Any updates on the mod? Have any problems?
so i did it this past weekend took maybe 30 mins used my dremmel it made a big difference in low end torque/taking off also on the freeway passing ppl also I did it when i had less then a 1/2 tank of gas and when i had to refuel i was about 23 miles past were i would normally be when the (Fuel) light comes on so when i refueled i reset my odometer so I can see how many more miles im getting out of a tank.

only one thing that scared me a lil when i first started it after i did it i was running really rough idiling bad turned it off and back on been running fine ever since

Old 08-06-2013, 08:16 AM
slcblazer is on a distinguished road

Was it the first start up after the mod? Cause you might have reset the MAF when you pulled it apart.
I have heard of guys getting a SES light but it usually goes away. Just a heads up

Old 08-06-2013, 11:58 AM
Crackers is on a distinguished road

Has anyone been through emissions testing since doing this mod? Baffles and such like that are often put in to keep the emissions level throughout the full throttle range. A lot of carburetors used plates like this to keep the fuel ratios from leaning out when the throttle is opened quickly. Removing them would usually increase mid throttle response, but cause a bog when you first hit the pedal. I'm wondering how the computer compensates for this and of course how quickly.

It may not be a problem, I'm just curious.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:33 PM
burned is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Crackers
Has anyone been through emissions testing since doing this mod? Baffles and such like that are often put in to keep the emissions level throughout the full throttle range. A lot of carburetors used plates like this to keep the fuel ratios from leaning out when the throttle is opened quickly. Removing them would usually increase mid throttle response, but cause a bog when you first hit the pedal. I'm wondering how the computer compensates for this and of course how quickly.

It may not be a problem, I'm just curious.
I did this mod many years ago and have never had a problem with emissions inspection. That diffuser is for throttle response (gradual rather than abrupt with it cut off). Nothing to do with emissions.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:52 PM

Ok, thanks. I just know that changing throttle plates etc can effect necessary fuel curves which can effect what comes out the other end. Glad to know its not an issue.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:39 AM
Beginning Member
ozzman39 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Crackers
Ok, thanks. I just know that changing throttle plates etc can effect necessary fuel curves which can effect what comes out the other end. Glad to know its not an issue.
I don't know how true it is but I read u just have to disconnect your battery for about a hour to reset the computer so it can relearn the air/ fuel ratio

Old 08-07-2013, 08:26 AM

Yeah if you dont unhook the battery you may get an SES light but can easily clear it out and reset it

Old 08-07-2013, 09:35 AM

Injected engines were never "my thing", I know enough to keep them in tune but doing mods and keeping them legal is outside of my experience. Most of the modified injected stuff I worked on was not street legal.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:52 AM
1999BlueMobile is on a distinguished road

So are people seeing a gain or loss in fuel economy?? My larger tires and offset wheels already dropped me down to about 13-14mpg! Also lost a little power due to that added size and weight so this could be beneficial if it won't drop my mileage anymore! Haha. Thanks.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:04 PM

I didnt notice anything as far as a loss in more MPGs mine were already lowered with my tires. I have noticed a pick up in acceleration

Quick Reply: throttle blade mod