Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

What exhaust mod for most perf. boost on 2nd gen blazers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 03:28 PM
Starting Member
Bolbol is on a distinguished road
Default What exhaust mod for most perf. boost on 2nd gen blazers?

I have heard different stuff about this topic all over the place.
I have had people tell me that changing the headers is the best thing u can do to benefit most from since "The rest of the exhaust is well engineered"
Then I have heard the exact opposite as to not even bother with getting headers.
I also heard someone say to just get rid of the cat and the muffler which I'd believe if it was an older vehicle...

So is there a part of the exhaust system of this vehicle that you would benefit the most by changing?
Also I am not looking to change the sound of the car, make it lowder, more quiet or whatever, I just want to know if there is anyway to get a performance boost by doing a mod on the exhaust system alone.
Thanks

Old 06-01-2015, 01:16 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Hi flow cat and muffler

Old 09-07-2015, 06:03 PM
Scott Marcano is on a distinguished road

Wow, no answers at all, I was wondering the same thing.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:49 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Well there is an answer, albeit a simple one. A high flow cat and muffler would be the easiest and most bang for your buck answer there is.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Also look into upgrading your Y pipe. The factory Y pipes are known to be restrictive as well. Don't expect anything huge from all this alone tho.

Old 09-17-2015, 05:44 PM
Starting Member
Bolbol is on a distinguished road

where do u find hi flow cats or mufflers from anyway????

Old 09-17-2015, 10:22 PM
TMM217 is on a distinguished road

Magnaflow has a nice high flow cat y pipe

Old 10-01-2015, 10:29 PM
chevybird is on a distinguished road

has anyone found a y pipe that will fit a 4wd 4 door? all that I have found says that they will not fit my 1999.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:18 PM
Starting Member
2004 Blazer is on a distinguished road

This is a late reply for you but here is a link for performance gains with partial exhaust system. Gibson Performance Exhaust - Cat-Back Single Exhaust System, Stainless #614521

Old 09-16-2016, 10:20 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Fact is, no exhaust system will add power. All it can do is free whatever power the engine produces. Advertising puff aside, does anybody actually believe an exhaust on a naturally aspirated engine will add 10-15 HP? Like most engines designed back in the 80's (yes, that's when they were designed), these require internal modifications to really make a noticeable difference.

Quick Reply: What exhaust mod for most perf. boost on 2nd gen blazers?