Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Ball joint flip

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 05:24 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Old skool, this is only discussing putting the balljoint below the control arm as opposed to above it like it is from the factory.

As stated, this can only impact the upper balljoint angle, it will have b no real effect on the lower balljoint angle or the CV shaft angles.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:17 AM
nismo_2005 is on a distinguished road

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f219/2...t-info-438888/
The bottom of post 2 has a little bit of info on bj flipping and a couple of pics none with the bj hooked to the spindle though. But if you look around S10forum and dd you will see that a ton of 2wd guys do it

Old 01-24-2011, 12:34 PM
Beginning Member
manekDC2_ is on a distinguished road

would you be able to flip without the spacer? or is the spacer needed?

Old 01-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Interceptor9C1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if the balljoint will sit flush with the underside of the control arm on the stock stamped steel ones. Never checked it tho. I did the balljoint slip on my 89 K2500 that has stock tubular style uppers and worked well.

The Balljoint flip will increase the hight of the upper control arm only. When cranking the t-bars you decrease the distance between your upper arm and its lower bumpstop. Ive seen plenty of guys crank them til they are constantly riding with the control arms against the stops. When you do the BJ flip, its gives you back that space between the arm and the stop and thus better ride quality.

If you do a BJ flip dont get greedy with the cranking. Already the axles are dealing with an increased angle they werent ment to constantly run at. My K2500 i cranked about 1.5in till i hit the stops, then flipped the BJs and went another half inch. I drove it on the roads plenty and didnt have any issues. The first night i bought it back to the woods I blew both CV joints out. After i replaced the axles I fabbed up a 1.5in diff drop to reduce my angles back to near stock again

Old 01-24-2011, 05:10 PM
KM346 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
well..........his kit is a Trailmaster kit.

you an read through this THREAD if you want. it'll show you if Tony's is correct or not. sorry, but i'm not re-reading that for your benifit.

it's a good read though.

IMO, i can't see how the flip will work properly. not knocking those that say they've already done this, but think about it. your spindles have a matching taper for the bj stud to line up with, so if you insert the bj from the other side, how exactly is it gonna sit properly?

i don't know if it's just 'cause it's 2:35am here, and i've been up for too long on too little sleep (as usual) but i just can't see it.

please, correct me if i'm wrong. but don't just say it's so, show me some pic's, of our trucks, not some Toy or Colorado.

Trailmaster kits dont come with upper control arms. The trailmaster kit requires that you cut the factory arms for shock clearance. Tony states in his build that he bought the rough country arms for clearance purposes.

Not trying to be an *** but i dont think you understand how it works... the ball joint isnt actually being flipped upside down, your just mounting it to the bottom of the control arm instead of the top. It still inserts into the taper the same way as it would be impossible any other way.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Im planning on running mine flipped when i install my new upper arms and PPM ball joints.

Who else has flipped 'em?

Last edited by KM346; 01-24-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:41 PM

Heres a picture of the way the BJ mounts from the factory, on top of the control arm

Heres a pic of the ball joint flipped courtesy of nismos link... The BJ is on the underside of the arm and you can see the outline where it used to sit on top of the arm.

granted these are pictures of 2wd s10's but the idea is the same for any lifted IFS setup.

Last edited by KM346; 01-24-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:09 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

so is this supposed to give any kind of lift I'm a little confused

Old 01-24-2011, 08:21 PM

It wont give you any lift, but after cranking your t-bars it it is supposed to make it easier to align, give you more droop travel, and make your upper BJ angle a little better. It should also make your truck ride a little better because of the increased droop travel (less contact with the bumpstop) and less upper BJ bind.

However non of this is personal experience, just what ive read while researching. I have yet to find any negative affects... but i also havent heard about it being done much on our trucks thats why i started this thread.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:37 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

yea I'd try this maybe if the ride quality were to improve, funny thing is ball joints is about the only thing I haven't replaced in my front end suspension

Old 01-24-2011, 10:45 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by KM346
Not trying to be an *** but i dont think you understand how it works... the ball joint isnt actually being flipped upside down, your just mounting it to the bottom of the control arm instead of the top. It still inserts into the taper the same way as it would be impossible any other way.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Im planning on running mine flipped when i install my new upper arms and PPM ball joints.

Who else has flipped 'em?

i never got the impression you were acting like an ***, 'cause you're right, i didn't understand it.

it sounded like you guys were actually flipping the bj's around, simply by the way you were making that statement. if it had of been stated that you simply install them from the bottom, instead of from the top like the factory does, it would've made more sense.

but now i do!

and once i do my suspension work, i'll probably end up doing this mod, since i plan on replacing the U & L bj's anyways. if it'll put the suspension in a more relaxed state, then i'm all for it.

be sure to post some pic's up about your work when you do it.

Quick Reply: Ball joint flip