Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Calling All Lifters

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 01:56 PM
kbaker308 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Calling All Lifters

Okay, so I'm only 18 but i am fortunate enough to have an extensive metal shop at home. I have several years experience in machining and welding. I recently purchased a 2000 Blazer 4x4, and now i want to lift it. I'm in the process of fabricating a grill guard/pre-runner bar and a roof rack, and i need to figure out my lift next. Basicly I can lift it, but since i am new to Trucks in general i don't really know what would be the best setup.

I use this truck as a daily driver so i want it to still be practical on street, but i do some off-roading too, and i would like some bigger tires. My question is how big should i go? I personally was thinking about a 3" Body lift, and a 3-4 suspension lift with a 2" differential drop, on a set of 30/9.5/15. But i am worried that it will be a little unstable in turns.

Also at what tire size should i start thinking about changing out my gear ratio?

Can i please get opinions, thoughts and advice before i go and lift.

thanks in advance

Old 01-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Byte Stryke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Calling All Lifters

I Just went with a 2/2 lift and I was fine with 31s..
I hope to get the 2 inch body lift in this week...

I think a 3/3/4 and then 30s might be a bit much on the lift if you are worried about stability, you might stay in the 1-2 range on susp and 2 body you will still have ALLOT of room.

just my thoughts

check "Bytes Toy" in the sights and sounds.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:18 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

If youre that good at fabricating, go solid axle in the front. The differential drop isnt quite as easy as just buidling a bracket and getting some extra bolts.

To drop the diff, youre pretty much fabricating most of the parts youd be working with in a SFA swap

Old 01-11-2009, 10:35 AM

Okay, thanks for the input. Do you recommend any front axles in particular? and does the SFA use leaf springs, or coil overs?, or user preference. I would also like to add that building something is no problem becasue its cheap, but i really want to keep buying stuff to a minimum, my budget is just $400-$500.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:24 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

Go with a 2in body lift and 31's. Its cheap and easy fairly easy to do

Old 01-11-2009, 10:11 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

No way you'll be able to go SFA for 400-500...sorry..

But if you wanna try, start with a Dana 35 from a Wrangler. Theyre real common, but not exactly the strongest out there. More strength = more $$$. Coils vs leaf is somewhat user preference, but I think most people that go leaf spring are for cost and simplicity.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:50 PM

Yea, i was guessing that... after looking into i think i want to stick with IFS anyways.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:11 AM

Can i run the 31-10.5-15 without changing my differential gears, right now i am running stock gears.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:13 AM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

yes, thats what i have and i dont have any problems

Old 01-13-2009, 06:15 PM

I suppose I will do the 31-10.5, its kind of nice actually i check at the tire shop today and the AT 31's are $15 less then the 30's i don't know why that is, but that is nice since i need 5 new tires.

Will i see any trouble with a 2" body lift? also i haven't looked but i assume the front and especially rear bumper is attached to the frame, so i will need to make brackets to move it up?

Quick Reply: Calling All Lifters