Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Cheapest lift without torsion bar crank?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 03:52 PM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough
Default Cheapest lift without torsion bar crank?

What's the cheapest way to lift my 4x4 doing a without torsion bar crank? Since my wheels stick out, I get no flex without hitting (just hitting a bump will smash the fender on the tire) :/

Old 05-14-2011, 04:14 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

i am gonna say body lift.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:19 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

:P

I actually used a hacksaw which would be cheaper than a sawzall. Lifting would look better though

edit; Where does it rub? at the top of the fender or at the back along the lower edge?

Last edited by mdehoogh; 05-14-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:21 PM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mdehoogh

:P

I actually used a hacksaw which would be cheaper than a sawzall. Lifting would look better though

edit; Where does it rub? at the top of the fender or at the back along the lower edge?
LOL I guess that *is* the cheapest.

The top of the fender. If I hit a bump, it comes down on the tire. Stock-width wheels just bend in-ward.

i am gonna say body lift.
But those are just to damn hard to install for a nerd.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:28 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

body lifts are a piece of cake...i did mine by myself in one day.....just one of those things that seem overwhelming.
i did my own suspension lift to...i have never had a day of any formal mech training of any sort...just always handy with tools.

take your time and i think you would be fine.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:54 PM
BF Veteran

Well I have no jacks or anything, just the little jack that comes with the blazer. Haha.

How is it done exactly?

Old 05-14-2011, 09:05 PM
Beginning Member
Digital Daze is on a distinguished road

And we're back to the sawzall!

Old 05-14-2011, 09:25 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

That's weird that it hits the top of the fender, even before tbar crank, my 31's (I think my wheels are the exact same specs as yours) weren't close to the top. I had problems at the back and that's where I cut. Cutting at the top would be much more difficult to make it look good.

Originally Posted by CraigSnedeker
Well I have no jacks or anything, just the little jack that comes with the blazer. Haha.

How is it done exactly?
There are like 12 or 14 body mounts and you basically lift the body up just enough to get the 2" blocks in between the frame and body. I don't think the stock jack would work very well but you can find cheap floor jacks at pawn shops or craigslist or even just buy a brand new one. They're certainly worth the money

Here's a cool picture I found

And here's one of steinbruchsoldat's pictures showing the installation

Last edited by mdehoogh; 05-14-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:02 AM
BF Veteran

My tires must have less backspacing (Camaro wheels) so they stick out past the fenders.

Name:  hTid9l.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  49.9 KB

For the body lift, you don't have to remove any parts in the engine? I've seen videos where people had to disconnect the fan and gas nozzle and some other things before they could lift it.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:26 AM
Starting Member
jackdough is an unknown quantity at this point

you will have to remove the lower half of your fan shroud, but its pretty easy to do. other than that the only sorta tough thing to do is relocate the bumpers. just a matter of looking at it and coming up with a plan. my lift (besides bumpers) took me three hours in my driveway. it seems a lot more intimidating than it really is. just curious, why not crank the t bars? you probably wouldnt have to go very far just to stop the rub.

Quick Reply: Cheapest lift without torsion bar crank?