Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Front swaybar disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 01:26 AM
cyberdog is on a distinguished road
Default Front swaybar disconnect

DOes anyone have a howto or pics of how to make a front swaybar quick disconnect ?

Thx

Old 04-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Starting Member
dougg01 is on a distinguished road

do a web search on 'ZR2 sway bar disconnect'. Lots of articles.

Basically get a grade 8 3/8 bolt, wing nut, and a hairpin clip. Drill a hole in the bolt just past where the wing nut will tighten the bushings. The hole is for the clip to prevent the wing nut from backing off. Glue bushings to washers after welding center shank to center washers. This helps keep you from chasing after parts.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:37 AM
cyberdog is on a distinguished road

Hmm are u sure about the 3/8 bolt ? I read in a few places that it uses a 3/8 bolt but i meassured mine and its 0.33 inches . 3/8 is more like 0.37 inches. Maybe the bushings has room for a 3/8 but havent been able to remove mine yet

Old 04-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The factory stuff is likely M8 hardware 8mm = 0.317".

The holes through the lower control arm and the sway bar should be large enough to support a 3/8" bolt and you can enlarge the rest of the stuff to make that work as well.

Not only will it be stronger, but the bolt will be easier to find.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:25 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

how bad would the handling be if you disconnected the front sway bar completely?

Old 04-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There would be nothing counteracting body roll... It wouldn't be too fun.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:27 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

I remember watching Trucks as a kid... he built up an old ****** panel truck and didn't put sway bars on it and he almost rolled it on an interstate on ramp.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:25 PM
jdespain is on a distinguished road

It would be one heck of a scary ride.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:54 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I ran without my front sway bar for about a year due to a bent mounting bracket that I was too lazy to fix. The ride wasn't too terrible as long as you don't drive like a teenager. But I finally got off my butt, straightened the bracket and put the bar back on. Tightened up the front end quite a bit!

But a great mod for offroad!

Old 04-26-2010, 12:11 PM
Starting Member
dougg01 is on a distinguished road

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...20Disco%20mod/

Picks.....

Again...search on ZR2, disconnect, and sway bar. Plenty of links.

Oh, and stock bushings suck. The 3/8 is for use with the ES bushing kit.

Quick Reply: Front swaybar disconnect