Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Which lift is best for me? (Lots Of Questions)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 02:07 PM
Beginning Member
wanderlost is on a distinguished road
Default Which lift is best for me? (Lots Of Questions)

Ive decided to lift my 01 Blazer to fit bigger tires after bottoming out the frame and over extending the suspension too many times on camping trips. I currently have ~2 inch shackle in the back and a death crank on the tbars. Would a Rough Country 2.5 inch lift be any more beneficial to me than the setup I am running now? I am also considering a 6 inch lift from either Rough Country or Superlift with 33's and a re-gear. Does anybody have any experience with either the Rough Country or Superlift 6 inch kit? Or an opinion on which would be the most reliable? If I went with the 33's what gears would be best to maintain engine rpm and fuel economy? Thanks in advanced!

Wanderlost

Old 03-12-2017, 07:30 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

First thing, this will cost a few cents. The 2.5 kits wont do anymore over what you have other than relieve stress on front end suspension parts. Never heard any complaints about the 6 inch lift. As for gearing you might want to go with 3.73 gears. It depends on how much road verses offroading your doing. I have 3.73 with 32 inch on my zr2 and 15mpg on the highway and 13ish city. Also there is always the solid axle swap route, which would give you plenty of clearence. Or trade for a zr2 blazer which comes with the higher wider package, 3.73 gears and 31 inch tires stiock

Old 03-12-2017, 08:32 AM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

If you're going to spend the money, go with the 6 inch. Like newguy said, the 2.5 will just correct the geometry on the front end and won't put you much higher than you are now. And even at that I've heard of people still getting excessive front end wear with the 2.5 kit.

Depending on what gears you have now, you would probably be fine without re gearing for 33's

Old 03-12-2017, 08:56 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by chevyriders
If you're going to spend the money, go with the 6 inch. Like newguy said, the 2.5 will just correct the geometry on the front end and won't put you much higher than you are now. And even at that I've heard of people still getting excessive front end wear with the 2.5 kit.

Depending on what gears you have now, you would probably be fine without re gearing for 33's
I`m guessing 3.43, would need to get the computer adj. for speedo

Old 03-12-2017, 10:51 AM
Beginning Member
wanderlost is on a distinguished road

I go wheeling almost every weekend in the mountains. It is also currently my daily. I am confident that I could install a ifs lift in 2-3 days at my friends shop. Would love to be sitting on Dana 44s front and rear but I don't feel confident enough in my work yet for that. Could I reprogram the computer for bigger tires myself?

Last edited by wanderlost; 03-12-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:13 PM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

You can get programers for less than a couple hundred bucks that will recalibrate your speedometer, as well as change shift points, and have a couple preset tunes for your ecu if you wanted to get a little extra power. I believe hypertech sells one.

Also, my blazer came factory with 3.73 gears...I have gt4 and g80 rpo codes.... Take a look in your glovebox and find the rpo codes, they will let you know for sure what gears you have.

If you're wheeling regularly my vote is definitely for 6 inch lift either way though