Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Planning for Bigger Tires...But More for a "Look"

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 12:04 AM
Starting Member
LunchBox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Planning for Bigger Tires...But More for a "Look"

Hey guys...I've been a member here for years, and I have to say this site is great. I've been milling over options for my 96 4x4, standard tranny ( ) currently with a 2" BL, trimmed/massaged front fenders with 31's:

I'm absolutely obsessed with the prerunner look...but I refuse to buy another Blazer...like a 2wd to chop up.

I'm thinking about options...I don't necessarily want a tall Blazer...I just want a fat one. I have seen Blazers on the 6" SL kit with 33's...and I love the overall height and look. I want a prerunner look, that will be (and I'm being honest here) 90% on-road/DD. Off roading for me consists of trails (to off-path mountain bike/camping locations), muddy/snowy pastures...nothing too serious, and she can handle it as is currently...so (yes...I ADMIT IT!!!) off-road performance is secondary.

Regardless, I will be installing fiberglass prerunner fenders, and 33's (BFG A/T's, of course...)

So my options as I see them are:

1. 2.5" RC...it's $500, and with the fenders, should clear 33's. I'll still have to regear. Cheapest way to go...but perhaps a bit "lower" than I would actually like to see...although probably the most consistant with the prerunner look.

2.) 6" IFS lift...at $2k...plus regear...this is an expensive option...but would be the exact look I want, and maintain on road characteristics.

3.) SAS...probably taller than I want...but at, or below the price tag of option 2...I'd actually have a functional vehicle with decent manners on road, and real performance off road, should I get adventurous. I hate to spend the money to regear...that I could just buy a set of axles for, and still have enough left over to hit the store and buy a rack of ribs and a case of Shiner Bock. I've also been a long time fan of the simplicity, and performance of solid axles.

Tires, fenders, and regear is going to run me about $2K. I hate to be cheap just to be $1500 short of THE LOOK...or actual performance...but then again...$1500 is a lot of ribs and beer.

I'm just kinda lost here...looking for input...guidance...direction...another beer...etc.

Thanks...and this place really is the best!

Last edited by LunchBox; 07-26-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:33 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i have seen 33 12.50 tires on s10 blazers with just a 3inch body lift. tires do rub offroad of course. there was one running around here where he did the 3 inch and trimmed the fenders and put some aftermarket flares on it and it did have that big fat look lol.

im biased as i always recommend the SFA just cause it makes everything so much simpler and stronger but its usually not a over night deal. mine took like 4 months to complete

Old 07-26-2012, 11:36 PM
Starting Member

In an ideal world...there would be no question...SFA, hands down. But...cost is high...and like you said...it's not a "slap it on and go" thing...I've read many builds here and elsewhere...you get it together...figure out what's wrong...fix that...figure out wht else needs to be tweaked...rinse and repeat.

I think I'm leaning toward the 2.5" kit with fiberglass fenders...but I hate to regear knowing I can buy axles with the ratio I want already in them for the same price as having someone else install a new R&P...if not cheaper. Maybe I should look at finding a rear axle with the gears I want, for the price I want...then only regear the front...

Los to think about...

Old 07-27-2012, 12:30 AM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Who says a solid axle has to sit high..? Depending on what set up you go with you can get it as low as you have it now. that would probably involve a 3 link suspension and be pretty expensive but it can be done. But with leafs you would probably get about 6 inches of lift. And if you take the time to gather the parts you need it wouldnt be all that expensive. there are deals every where, you just have to have time to look.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Carrico4 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 97cherryblazer
Who says a solid axle has to sit high..? Depending on what set up you go with you can get it as low as you have it now. that would probably involve a 3 link suspension and be pretty expensive but it can be done. But with leafs you would probably get about 6 inches of lift. And if you take the time to gather the parts you need it wouldnt be all that expensive. there are deals every where, you just have to have time to look.

not necessary for a 3 link, i have a 3leaf pack front, and my stock leafs in the rear, i fit 36.5/14/16.5, it is the size of my sisters jeep and she has a 6.5" lift with 33s. it all depends on axles, how far forward you move it, tires, leafs, or links etc. take in mind, i still need about 1000-1200$ more in my build, and i have 2000$+ in parts, but a lot new, and i got deals on a lot of stuff. plus i had to buy a new truck an ifs lift, is a drive way install or shop install, a sas is (if you have all the parts know how to begin with) a weekend install to a year +. it all depends, but i vote SAS bc i love my truck and havent even tested it yet...im bias of course.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:47 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Tires, fenders, and regear is going to run me about $2K. I hate to be cheap just to be $1500 short of THE LOOK...or actual performance...but then again...$1500 is a lot of ribs and beer.

I'm just kinda lost here...looking for input...guidance...direction...another beer...etc.
One thing I thought of & kept going through my head while reading all of the OP was:
Do it right the 1st time! If you don't, you'll be making more issues for yourself, more money involved fixing those issues & possibly more grief than the beer & ribs can succumb.
I've often kicked myself in the *** for not going the extra step & not cutting corners because of the BS I have to deal with & when people ask questions - uhhh yeah it's not as it seems it's cheap etc... that sucks & feels horrible not doing it right.
It's the little things that make it major & make it right. You get what you pay for & that includes effort put forth.

<edit> speaking of beer:
Rottidog is wise beyond his beers!

Last edited by Rottidog; 07-27-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:20 AM
Carrico4 is on a distinguished road

^exactly

Old 07-29-2012, 11:58 AM
Starting Member

I see what you're saying...but any of these methods are simply different ways of doing it right. They are all 3 reputable means by which to fit larger tires...just not sure which way to go. I'm actually leaning toward the IFS lifts...because they are basically a kit designed for my Blazer...there is little guess work, and support for "issues".

And...as much as I like the SFA option...for someone with no tools or shop anymore...I'd end up having to pay someone else to do it, and tweak it.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:22 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

Hate to be the negative one but thought I would chime in. Anytime you alter the ride height with a susupension lift without a SAS you are going to go threw front end parts very quickly. I too have been contemplating a suspension lift but I can't justify the cost of the kit now and all the parts I will have to replace down the road. Think for awhile if you really want to pay that much just to achieve the look. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Starting Member

That's not being negative at all...I have considered that as well...and it's an extremely valid point!

<edit> Although...to be fair...the torsion bar IFS system on these things is crap anyway. I've replaced almost everything that moves more than once.

Last edited by LunchBox; 07-29-2012 at 06:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Planning for Bigger Tires...But More for a "Look"