Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Solid Axle... Addition?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 09:57 PM
lazyboyjake is on a distinguished road
Default Solid Axle... Addition?

If any of the below information is wrong, please feel free to correct me, this is all just coming from the thoughts of a bored college student who's watched way too much Xtreme 4x4 in his spare time.

So I've been thinking about how when people SAS they essentially remove the front end suspension and driveline and replace it with a solid axle, supported by leaf springs, sometimes, just as the rear axle is. Besides the addition of a T-Case, what would keep someone from doing that to a 2WD but instead of removing the old suspension and drive line you just add in suspension components. If you used a manual T-Case would you need anything electrical in the mix? And I know the transmission housing is a bit different on the axle end but couldn't you just drop in a transmission from a 4x4 truck and be good to go? Any input from you guys would be appreciated. I love my truck the way it is, but the thought of taking on a project like this interests me. Plus I would gain 4x4.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:39 PM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

lots of people have done it to a 2wd, you still need to remove all the suspension though. It's in the way.Manual TC is good, no electrical needed. Swapping in a 4x4 trans would be the best bet IMO. There are divorced transfer cases but they're harder to find and would get a bit on the long side for a 2 dr blazer.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:50 PM

Assuming I used a 4x4 trans, would I need to try and relocate any cross members or would they stay where they are now?

Old 04-01-2015, 07:43 AM

That, I'm not sure about. I think it'd be fine but I don't know for sure. I never paid attention to that part.

I do know that most people have to build new crossmember's for driveshaft clearance. Or at very least modify the stock ones.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:51 AM

Yeah, I figured the front cross member might be a little bit of a problem but hopefully the other won't be. In the few threads I've read through people mention cutting and welding but usually aren't too too specific. With the removing of the front suspension, would I be able to get away with just unbolting most of it or would there be definite things that would need to be cut out? I'm think the main things that would be in the way would just be things like the control arms and steering linkages, but most all of that is bolted in so would unbolting it and leaving it at that be fine?

Old 04-01-2015, 11:36 AM

I'm not familiar with 2wd frames, so I can't answer that. Shock mounts would be the big interference there I think.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:16 PM

The shock runs through the spring so there are really no mounts at all. It bolts on the control arm and a hole through the frame. However, I know I would need to add mounts for the new shocks.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:49 PM

Sorry, I meant interfering with the new mounts.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:20 PM

Yeah, I'm definitely going to do some major research. This might be a nice summer project next year after I have a little money saved up.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:39 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i think you need to find some way to plug in your vehicle speed sensor. in a 2wd trans its probably in the tailshaft. when ditched my electric transfercase in my 93 4x4 for a manual one there was no where to plug in the vss. i just left off and manually shift the trans as its a off road only.

Quick Reply: Solid Axle... Addition?