Go Back   Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums > Modifications > Suspension Tech > Lifting Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Blazer Forum!
Welcome to Blazer Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Blazer Forum today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-05-2009, 12:09 AM
Beginning Member

M. Lowes is on a distinguished road
Default Spring over axle conversion?

I have a 94 S10 Blazer toy. (Not street legal)
What are the pros or cons to relocating the Rear axle over the spring? It looks like I can remove the axle, then cut the spring plate then reweld it on the top.
It looks like this will give me 2" of lift.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:22 PM
BF Veteran

AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Cons would be lifting the front to match, needing longer shocks and a bit more of driveline angle.

Pros is a cheap lift that has been done many times.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Beginning Member

M. Lowes is on a distinguished road

I guess there are a million ways to lift the rear, just a few to lift the front.
Longer shocks would not be a problem as almost any lift I'm sure I would need a new set.
Could I angle the rear axle to help match the stock drive line angle?
Why would GM put the axle on top of the spring? Does this some how give a better ride?
Old 07-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Administrator
2009 GMC Yukon Denali
My Garage

swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to swartlkk Send a message via AIM to swartlkk

You would definitely want to re-do the pinion angle for the added lift.

The axle was put on top of the spring pack to keep things more compact.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:05 PM

Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point

This will give you 6" lift or more. Remember that the Axle is 3" in Diameter. That's 3" right there, then there's the height that the perch is off the axle. If the perch is an inch that means that swapping it to teh other side will add two inche sto the height.

Set the axle under the Leafs with the perch, jack the axle up until the springs are fully loaded, then determine the Pinion angle. You probably have to unload the springs , twist the axle to change the angle then load the springs again until you get the angle right, then weld. If you want to do it 'right', angle the pinion so if it was a gun, it would shoot a bullet and hit the trani spline... Then have a CV driveshaft built.
1975 Jeep CJ5 Bought in 1980 Chevy powered fiberglass body I did the work
1985 Chevy Stepside Pickup// Original owner 298K miles
1989 Volvo 244 //Original owner 305K miles
1991 Ford Explorer Bought for $450 w/182K miles it now has 336K miles on it.
http://home.lyse.net/brox/TonyPage4.html
Old 07-23-2009, 12:05 PM

Closed Thread

Tags
2000, 350, 90, axle, blazer, chevy, cons, conversion, front, k1500, kit, pros, rear, s10, spring