Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Spring over axle swap need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 10:37 PM
Beginning Member
luckyferg1313 is on a distinguished road
Default Spring over axle swap need help

i have always driven full size trucks but i bought a 93 blazer already on 33a with shackles body lift and a few other things but i only paid 500 for the truck the odo reads over 221000 but its the digital dash so i dont think it was ever calibrated so i think its off. but i have two problems has anyone done a spring over axle swap on a blazer like mine and how hard is it to wire up an aftermarket fuel guage i just need to chase wires to the aftermarket one that already hooked up and ifx it bc it reads full all the time. the main reason the truck was so cheap was bc the guy the the t case was jacked up but its just the front shaft the gears are wallered out and the diaphram is tore up,.... easy fix for that stuff. oh and the windshield is busted to hell on the passenger side . so if anyone has don a SOA swap on a blazer like mine please tell me what all i need and what i would need for the front. thanks in advance. oh i will have pics soon

Old 04-17-2010, 11:21 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Your forum membership is important to us, someone that has done a SOA will be with you shortly. Thank you for your patence!
(Jazz music)....

lol. From what I've seen, all there is to it is cutting off the factory shock mount and spring perch. Grinding the area and cleaning it up. And mounting the new spring perch/shock mount on top of the axle. Big thing I'd say would be making sure you have your location mapped out just right so everything is in line and nothing gets distorted. But it's something I have never done so just keep searching around and NJ4x4 or Nvanzee or someone will surf by and chip in.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with an SoA swap in the rear is that it takes some major mods in the front to match back up properly. This is where you would typically see the 5 or 6" suspension lifts in the front.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:32 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

yeah the rear is easy to lift. the front is a complicated mess to lift unlike the older fullsized trucks. i did the SOA on my truck and slapped a k5 blazer front axle under the front.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:33 PM
Starting Member
speterson1011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Soa

I did the SOA on my blazer. It was pretty easy, You need longer shocks, longer sway bar links, and I used 2'' wedged blocks instead of the straight rectangular shocks. This helped line up everything easier. I had to cut off the old mount on the axle where the leafs rested on and remounted the new brackets. I had to cut the bump stops so I could be able to flex when off road, if didn't I was only able to flex about 2inches. Anything else you have questions on? I'm sure I missed some stuff but just let me know

Old 04-19-2010, 09:25 PM
Beginning Member

well to be completely honest i need to know what i could do to the front without putting too much cash into it like new upper and lower A arms with longer shocks if that would do it bc i can do the fabbing of the shock mounts and stuff thats no problem on the rear i am just stuck on the front plus this is my daily driver/ toy lol thanks for the help guys

Old 04-20-2010, 12:30 PM
BF Veteran

if its just a 500 offroad turd your probably better off cutting the fenders off. i had a 85 that fit 35s with just hacking the fenders. the problem with lifting the front like you said is the cv joint angles are going to be real steep which will make them break alot easier. also i later swapped that truck to 33 12.50s and pretty much every time i turned the wheel sharp in 4x4 i would break a cv joint. it got really old thats why i eventually put a solid axle up front. it really isnt that hard to do.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Beginning Member

honestly how hard is it to do a straight axle swap in the front and will i be able to keep my stock rims on the front along with the rotors and calipers and all the other stuff or will i have to salvage that stuff from the truck i get the axle out of? thanks for all the answers guys

Old 04-21-2010, 09:53 AM
BF Veteran

Yea I don't think any of that stuff crosses over. You maybe able to keep your rims if you can find one with a 5lug. I did mine in a few months taking my time and really only costed me like 800 bucks. BUT I had the majority of the stuff lying around like the axle, rims and tires, springs, driveshafts etc

Old 04-21-2010, 09:47 PM
Beginning Member

thats not too bad did you put coil springs on the front or leafs? bc if i do it im probably gonna want coils front and rear so i can flex it out or i may just keep stuff where its at and get a yj or tj next year lol.