Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

START HERE - lift kit list

Old 11-21-2016, 10:07 PM
Starting Member
Brian K. Balzer is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by TMM217
I would think the 1"-3" keys will let you level the truck. Front usually sits lower than rear from the factory.
Thanks for the input. I think that is usually the general idea but aftermarkets can be used to get some additional lift if I'm understanding things correctly.

Old 11-22-2016, 01:13 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Cranking the t bars is the worst thing you can do

Old 11-23-2016, 01:19 AM
Starting Member
Default Ok

Originally Posted by newguy
Cranking the t bars is the worst thing you can do
Can you give me a little information as to why?

Old 11-24-2016, 01:10 AM
Starting Member
95teal4x4 is on a distinguished road

you dont have to lengthen the brake lines when you lift it, i would just suggst getting extended length brake hoses, that is all. as for the other things that is only for a body lift. i would suggest a suspension lift because you DO NOT need to do any of that. It also keeps your frame from showing itself like a body lift would.

Old 11-24-2016, 05:30 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Brian K. Balzer
Can you give me a little information as to why?
Puts way to much stress on ball joints, hubs, axles. Wasnt designed to be used as a lift. Only for alignment. Best way is to lower the trans axle keeping the geometry straight. then you can can adjust the tbars. Without that you will need to save money for parts every year. Half of us on this forum found out the hard way. 1-3" keys do nothing to help, its just a selling gimmick

Old 11-24-2016, 11:40 AM
Starting Member
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by 95teal4x4
you dont have to lengthen the brake lines when you lift it, i would just suggst getting extended length brake hoses, that is all. as for the other things that is only for a body lift. i would suggest a suspension lift because you DO NOT need to do any of that. It also keeps your frame from showing itself like a body lift would.
I appreciate the suggestions. At this point I'm recommending that he just gets tires he can run without lifting until he can save up to do a lift properly.

Old 11-24-2016, 11:44 AM
Starting Member
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by newguy
Puts way to much stress on ball joints, hubs, axles. Wasnt designed to be used as a lift. Only for alignment. Best way is to lower the trans axle keeping the geometry straight. then you can can adjust the tbars. Without that you will need to save money for parts every year. Half of us on this forum found out the hard way. 1-3" keys do nothing to help, its just a selling gimmick
I appreciate the information. That's why I was asking on here rather than just jumping into anything. I prefer to learn from other people's mistakes. I've recommended he just gets some tires he can run without modification until he can save up to do a lift properly.

Old 11-24-2016, 02:10 PM
Starting Member
95teal4x4 is on a distinguished road

Yes it will put some more stress on some suspension components as Newguy said. Although you do have the option to buy a Rough Country 2.5" Suspension lift. Many members of this forum have installed it and it is overall a pretty good kit. They are about $499.99 most places i see. i have seen them on ebay a bit cheaper. It will take time but is lifting it the right way.

It contains Upper Control Arms that will correct the ball joint angle so they are not under so much stress. It also contains a bracket that you can put on your front differential that will lower it enough that most of the increased wear on components is minimized. It will involve cutting a small section off(ugh...i know, its a little sketchy but its worth it) and then bolting it on from a few factory bolt holes. It is a solid kit and i think they offer lifetime warranties on components but i'm not sure.

There is an install video on youtube if you would like to see what it entails. i can post the link if you would like it. If you want to do your own research, there is a ton of threads on it on this forum.

Old 11-24-2016, 06:14 PM
Starting Member
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by 95teal4x4
Yes it will put some more stress on some suspension components as Newguy said. Although you do have the option to buy a Rough Country 2.5" Suspension lift. Many members of this forum have installed it and it is overall a pretty good kit. They are about $499.99 most places i see. i have seen them on ebay a bit cheaper. It will take time but is lifting it the right way.

It contains Upper Control Arms that will correct the ball joint angle so they are not under so much stress. It also contains a bracket that you can put on your front differential that will lower it enough that most of the increased wear on components is minimized. It will involve cutting a small section off(ugh...i know, its a little sketchy but its worth it) and then bolting it on from a few factory bolt holes. It is a solid kit and i think they offer lifetime warranties on components but i'm not sure.

There is an install video on youtube if you would like to see what it entails. i can post the link if you would like it. If you want to do your own research, there is a ton of threads on it on this forum.
I appreciate the feedback. It's something my son can consider in the future. Right now it's not an option as it's out of our price range. We're going to look into some tires to run for now and he can consider lifting it when he can afford to do it properly.

Old 11-25-2016, 05:51 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Brian K. Balzer
I appreciate the feedback. It's something my son can consider in the future. Right now it's not an option as it's out of our price range. We're going to look into some tires to run for now and he can consider lifting it when he can afford to do it properly.
If its a small lift its worth saving for and doing that way. Think of it as you may spend close to that in parts in a years time

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: START HERE - lift kit list