Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Torsion bar Lift

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 07:04 PM
greatwhite is on a distinguished road
Default Torsion bar Lift

Ok I know this question has probaly been asked before, but I couldnt find the answers I was looking for.

Is a torsion bar lift work good? Do I also need to lift the rear? What is the purpose is it just to give more clearance for larger tires? Some have told me they lift the vechile this way for plowing why?

I want to just lift mine so I can put 31 on it with out having to do much trimming.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:10 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

All of your questions have been answered on here with perhaps one exception:

The reason to lift the front end using the tbars when using a plow is to compensate for the additional weight.

A quick search or even just a quick look under the same section as you posted this in will have the other answers to your questions.

And welcome to the forum!

Old 06-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

Yea what he said. lol

Old 06-06-2010, 08:15 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Many people lift the front slightly and do not lift the rear in order to level out the vehicle and get rid of the nose down look.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:21 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

just search tbar crank and shackle lift there are tons of threads with everything you need to know

Old 06-07-2010, 12:53 AM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Alright let's break it down...
Is it a good thing? Yeah, as long as it's done right (IE in moderation.) Don't turn the adjuster bolts untill they bottom out, this will throw your suspension allignment out of whack. If you adjust the torsion bolts, just keep an eye on your cv boots, ball joints, etc. Also keep an eye on your tires, both tread wear and that they arn't leaning (out of alignment).

Do I need to lift the rear? Only if you want to keep a nose down factory look like most people have already mentioned. If you crank 1.5 inch (which is the general concensus as the limit), and you want to lift the rear a pinch. You can look up add-a-leafs and leaf spring shackles. The torsion bolts will only lift the front.

What is the purpose? Well agian like others have said it is used to compensate for added weight in the front, such as a plow, grille guard, etc. Also as the years go on the torsion bars may start to sag like any other form of spring. Thus the adjuster bolts which will allow you to lift the rear back up to stock. But for the most part it's just part of the IFS design.

With leaf springs and coil springs, when they wear out they can just be swapped out for new springs. Since torsion bars are not meant to truely be replaced. They incorporate the adjustment system of the indexed keys for height adjustment.

THE END, lol. Sorry for the book. Just thought I'd elaborate some.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:55 AM
greatwhite is on a distinguished road

Thanks ImScrewed92. That is what I was looking for so I will probably do it in a few weeks.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:49 AM
Beginning Member
Blazin4x4trailz is on a distinguished road

Thanks man. I really want to add a lift to my 1993 blazer. Been looking it up and found most of my questions answered by you. Hope to get it done with in the next two months. Ill post pics of the whole prject.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:55 PM
Starting Member
Vegaas315 is on a distinguished road
Default Help

I figured I would post on this because it was the most recent post that involved leaf springs. I cant figure out how to start my own thread. I know there is a "new thread" button but cant find it. I am trying to find the stock ride height for a 1993 s10 Blazer 4x4. I can do all the adding and subtracting for my lift and tires, but I cant tell if they leafs need to be replaced or if they would do well with just an AAL. Need to find out if it is sagging too much. Both sides are about equal in height less than a 1/4 inch off from drivers side to passanger side. Well hopedfully no one shoots me for hi-jacking this thread.

Thanks

Old 04-29-2012, 03:02 PM
airwak is on a distinguished road

EDIT: Lots of searching found my answer. Only need torsion bar keys if my torsion bars are worn out, if not then cranking is all I need.

Last edited by airwak; 04-29-2012 at 04:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Torsion bar Lift