Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

1986 blazer how to replace dash light

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 02:48 PM
Starting Member
flipster48 is on a distinguished road
Default 1986 blazer how to replace dash light

how does one do a replacement of the instrument lights..Fuse is ok ,but have no dash lites..control **** will go to the end and turn on the ceiling lite ok..did my best to look up under the dash to see if could get to anything,no luck..any info on what book or website to go to for general help in doing something as simple as changing lite bulb..thanks..colo springs,co

Old 12-08-2012, 05:02 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I'm not 100% sure, but you should be able to pull the trim around the radio off and that should expose the bolts that hold the gauges on the dash.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:02 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Thogert
I'm not 100% sure, but you should be able to pull the trim around the radio off and that should expose the bolts that hold the gauges on the dash.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.
another question that is making me think way back. i owned a 83 and a 85. i believe the torx screws are staring you in the face but yeah you may have to remove the ones around the radio to get at a hidden one or two... but yeah should be self explanatory, just start taking screws off.

i remember the biggest pain is actually disconnecting the speedometer cable, it only gives you like a few inches and you have to somehow get your hand back there.

if ALL your bulbs arent working it might be a different issue all together, maybe the light switch is bad, you said you turned it but if it dont work it dont work, if you have electrical diagrams see if you can find the wire that goes to the dash lights and power it from there

Old 12-12-2012, 12:48 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

86-94 blazer s-series

Remove the 2 screws under headlight switch, slide panel down and unplug connecters. Set aside

Remove 2 screws under hvac panel. The fan switch and lights has simple electrial plugs, one for switch and one for lights. On the side you can see the cable for the blend door. It has a spring nut that has to be carefully pried off. On the rear there is a clip that has to be unhooked and thatt cable is loose. On the bottom back there is a gaggle of vacuum lines going to a plug with 2 spring nuts, remove those two and it comes off. Sit aside.

On the bottom of the gauge surround there are 2 screws on each side of the steering column, remove. Now in the light and hvac holes you have 2 10mm nuts on each side to remove. The gauge surround should now slide out.

For the actual cluster there is 4 more 10 mm nuts easily to see. Remove those. If you have an auto trans remove the clip to the steering column (might wanna mark it to put back later first). That clip just slides back and off. On 86-89 you have to pull the cluster out enough and remove the speedo cable. There is a tab on the bottom of the cable that pushes towards the cluster and the cable comes off. Then you have to remove the VSS plug with one screw. Later models don't have all this and the cluster just pulls out.

Once the cluster is out the lights will be on the back under 1/4 turn blue,green, or green/blue plugs. Just twist and pull out.

The hardest part is those damn spring nuts/clips on the hvac. They have to be slowly and carefully worked off the plastic stud. If ya break the stud you'll be stuck replacing the hvac part. The little red clip on the back of the blend door can also be a pita but if it breaks a small zip tie can hold it in place.