Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

1995 GMC Jimmy Electrical problems.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 07:40 PM
Beginning Member
mvamobile is on a distinguished road
Default 1995 GMC Jimmy Electrical problems.

Hello, I have some issues that I think are electrical, just not sure.

First thing is the A/C shuts of randomly, it shuts off and comes back on within 30 secs. The Max A/C only blows from the defrost vents.

Second thing is the dome lights stay on all the time no matter if the door is open or closed. The dimmer switch can be on or off, they stay on no matter what. I removed all the bulbs.

Third, the horn will not work most of the time.

Fourth, the fuel pump stopped working. I replaced it and four months later it stopped working again. Today (One week later) the Jimmy shut off while driving. Let it sit for about five minutes and it started again.

Fifth, two days ago the circuit board in the display for the temp and direction display burned.

Sixth, the check engine light comes on from time to time. I took to O'Reilly's, Auto Zone, and Advance. None of them could read the codes. It just gave them an error code stating it could not connect.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mvamobile; 09-12-2014 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Font to small
Old 09-12-2014, 11:28 PM
07nhbpsi is on a distinguished road

Well, I can't tell u for sure what's wrong with it.....however it sounds as if it's suffering from a faulty ignition switchdo yourself a favor, and search the forums for faulty ignition switch...there is a few threads covering this issue....u should find the info. U need in there!!!!goodluck

Old 09-12-2014, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by mvamobile
Hello, I have some issues that I think are electrical, just not sure.

First thing is the A/C shuts of randomly, it shuts off and comes back on within 30 secs. The Max A/C only blows from the defrost vents.

Second thing is the dome lights stay on all the time no matter if the door is open or closed. The dimmer switch can be on or off, they stay on no matter what. I removed all the bulbs.

Third, the horn will not work most of the time.

Fourth, the fuel pump stopped working. I replaced it and four months later it stopped working again. Today (One week later) the Jimmy shut off while driving. Let it sit for about five minutes and it started again.

Fifth, two days ago the circuit board in the display for the temp and direction display burned.

Sixth, the check engine light comes on from time to time. I took to O'Reilly's, Auto Zone, and Advance. None of them could read the codes. It just gave them an error code stating it could not connect.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Btw., the issue with your blower blowing thru the defroster sounds like a bad vacuum hose under the hood......there should also be a diagram somewhere on the forum to guide you on getting the hooked up properly.......I have no links for u, lol but I know if u use the search function it should pop up....

Old 09-13-2014, 09:39 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks 07, The vehicle has a after market keyless entry. I am going to take that off today. While I have it apart I will check the ignition switch. I just have to find a procedure to test it by, first. I have replaced alot of the vacuum lines, the ones I could find visually. When I bought the Jimmy the 4WD did not work. I had to replace the vacuum line to the actuator and the vacuum line to the transmission that goes down the back of the motor looked like an animal chewed on it. I replaced a section of that one. I read somewhere that the vacuum switch in the dash could be bad.

Also, sometimes when you start from a stop the motor makes alot of noise like it is moving a massive amount of air under pressure. sounds like a big rig, kinda.

Last edited by mvamobile; 09-13-2014 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Forgot some comments.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:10 AM

Thanks 07, The vehicle has a after market keyless entry. I am going to take that off today. While I have it apart I will check the ignition switch. I just have to find a procedure to test it by, first. I have replaced alot of the vacuum lines, the ones I could find visually. When I bought the Jimmy the 4WD did not work. I had to replace the vacuum line to the actuator and the vacuum line to the transmission that goes down the back of the motor looked like an animal chewed on it. I replaced a section of that one. I read somewhere that the vacuum switch in the dash could be bad.

Also, sometimes when you start from a stop the motor makes alot of noise like it is moving a massive amount of air under pressure. sounds like a big rig, kinda.
There is a vacuum canister that is mounted to the inner driver side fender, there should be a couple of lines goin to and from ....this supplies the vac for heater controls and 4x4 actuator....

Old 09-14-2014, 01:11 AM

There is a vacuum canister that is mounted to the inner driver side fender, there should be a couple of lines goin to and from ....this supplies the vac for heater controls and 4x4 actuator....my guess is u probably already knows since u replaced a few lines already.....haha

Old 09-21-2014, 02:31 PM
Beginning Member

I looked for the vacuum canister on the drivers fender but I don't see one there. There is a round ball shaped canister mounted to the bottom side of the hood with one vacuum line attached and another port which is a vent I guess. It does not have a fitting to attach a vacuum line to it.

Well yesterday we loaded up our enclosed trailer to move some stuff. While we were out the Jimmy started running really rough and lurching at idle. It smoothes out with acceleration. At one point it would not accelerate going up a hill, it just stayed at a steady 35-40 MPH. This morning I checked all the fluids and reset the computer. This did not make a difference. I have a video I will post here when I upload it to youtube this afternoon.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Since this is a '95 we're talking about here, it will not have the reservoir in the fender. As you have found, it has the round vacuum canister mounted to the underside of the hood. What is puzzling is that you said it has a port that is just open. To store engine vacuum, it must be sealed.

As far as the engine issues, I would recommend getting a fuel pressure gauge on it and let us know what the results are. These engines are VERY picky when it comes to fuel pressure and most aftermarket pumps leave a lot to be desired.

What brand of pump have you been using?

Old 10-10-2014, 09:13 PM
Beginning Member

I used a Performance Electric fuel pump. Today the Jimmy stalled in the middle of the road and would not start. It tried a few times. It had about 1/8th of a tank of gas. I put about a half gallon in it and it started. Drove to the gas station and filled it up. Got it home and did some investigating, found a gurgling sound from the fuel tank. I read this could be the pulsator. I think I am going to go ahead and spend the money to replace the complete tank assembly. In the past someone ran over something and dented the bottom of the tank. The sending unit does not work properly as it is empty when it reads 1/4 tank.

Does anyone have experience with this brand or part number?
SPECTRA PREMIUM / COOLING DEPOT Part # GM56A1FA
It is a complete tank assembly.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:55 PM
Beginning Member

Well it has been a while. I did replace the fuel tank, pump,sending unit, and fuel filter. It still runs rough while pulling our trailer. I think I have the vacuum problems fixed. Although when it is running rough the brakes become hard to depress. After pulling the trailer it runs rough for about 15-20 of driving the it returns to normal. The last time we pulled the trailer when we turned off the ignition we heard a bubbling sound from the fuel tank. I read somewhere it my be the EVAP canister, but it does not have any problems filling the tank.

I also still have a problem with the blower fan shutting off. There is a plug on the passenger side against the firewall that is burning and melting on the inside. Can anyone tell what this plug is called and what it connects? I cannot find anywhere that I can get it. What would cause it to melt and burn other than a bad connection? Is this a common problem?

Here is the plug I am talking About-

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: 1995 GMC Jimmy Electrical problems.