Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

1997 Blazer sealed beam to composite conversion - HELP?!?!

Old 07-02-2013, 09:28 PM
Blazerguy1983 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 1997 Blazer sealed beam to composite conversion - HELP?!?!

There are two different style front end’s on the 1997 Chevy Blazer. The 2-door models typically used the sealed beam style headlight and side marker/signal built into the plastic grill on the sides. The 4-door models typically used the composite style lights with the side marker/signal lights and headlight as one assembly which used a slightly different grill. Also the low and high beam has two separate bulbs instead of the sealed beam acting as both.
I own the 2-door design with the closed beam lights and would like to change over to the 4-door design with the composite light and slightly different grill. Other than splicing into the wire connectors to change the plugs for the high and low beam halogen bulbs, is this possible to do? Will the headlights assembly bolt up to the front core support? I would really like to do this and was wondering if anyone out there was successful? I read a lot of online forums but, not getting a clear answer on how to tap the pigtails into the existing single plug that goes into the sealed beam. I need a wiring diagram. I ordered four pigtail plugs from Dorman, two 9006 and two 9005 connectors for the low and high beam bulbs on each side. What wires do I tap them into on the harness for the low and high bulbs? Also my vehicle has Daylight running lights. Everyone says this is so easy but, I cannot find full answers. Maybe someone has a clear picture of this they took of the wires the matched up? Thanks!
Thanks for any advice!

Old 07-03-2013, 01:28 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

You will need to splice an extra wire into the ground for the extra bulb, then follow this guide for which wire is which. (the middle and bottom part)

As far as the grill goes, I believe you just need the headlight brackets and the grill. But I'm not 100% sure on that part.

Attached Thumbnails 1997 Blazer sealed beam to composite conversion - HELP?!?!-h4plugs.gif  
Old 07-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Blazerguy1983 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info. Here is the scoop!
I completed the sealed beam headlight and grill style overto the composite style on my 1997 2-Door Chevy Blazer. It wasn’t bad.

You have to first remove the grill with the four 7mm screws that mount it on the top of the grill and remove the two 7mm screws above and below the Chevy symbol in the middle of the grill. The bottom of the grill there are 4 metal clips that are springing that hold the grill onto the main support. Those clips pull off with the grill.

Once the screws are removed pull straightback carefully and the grill will come off. Be careful though because the side markerlights are still twisted into the yellow side marker lenses attached to the grill. Those just twist out.

Once the grill is removed you then will need a socket wrench with a long extension and a 10mm socket to remove the 4 mounting screws that hold the sealed beam brackets to the core support. They are recessed back above and below the headlight on all 4 corners. Save the screws.

Now you can carefully pull theentire sealed beam and bracket out and remove the plug on the back. It just pulls off. Repeat these steps for each side.

The next part is up to you how you want to attach the new 9006 and 9005 socket wire pigtails to the main harness. I just cut the old sealed beam connectors off. I stripped the outer coating off all thewires about an inch up on the wires on the two pigtails and the wires coming off the truck. For the passenger side you will have a green, tan and a black wire. The green wire is for High beam positive, tan is for low beam positive and the black is the negative/ground wire. I soldiered the tan wire to the positive of the 9006 light pigtail connector (low beam), the green wire to the positive of the 9005 light pigtailconnector (high beam) and the black wire I twisted and combined the negative toboth pigtails together and soldiered them. I also put head shrink over the soldered connection. The heat shrink must be slid onto the wires before you soldier.

The driver side was a little different but sameconcept. The drive side has 5wires. Two green and two tan wires and one blue. Strip about an inch up on thepigtails wires and the wires coming off the truck after cutting the main sealedbeam connector off. Twist together the two greens to the positive 9005 pigtail wire and soldier. Twist together the two tans to the positivewire of the 9006 pigtail wire. Now twist together the negative wires from both the 9006 and 9005 wire and connect them and soldier them to the blue. This will have the low beam 9006 on the top of your headlight assembly and the high beam9006 on the bottom.

Once everything is soldiered and heat shrunk I prefer to tape all my new connections up withelectrical tape to prevent rubbing or damage to the new wires.

Two install the new light assemblies there will need three of the four screws on the driver and passenger side to mount the lights. You will also need two on each side, special mettle clips that had threads tapped into them to clip on the two inner/middle holes for the screws to go into to support to mount the lights. I got lucky because I had two on the used headlights I was able to remove and reuse and my buddy had two lying in histool box.

Hold the light assembly up to the mounting holes you can see where the screw clips must be clipped to on thecore support. On the driver side thereshould be one on the top inner side of the assembly bracket, one on the inner side about in the middle or half way down the light bracket. The outer is on the top right side of thelight assembly mounting bracket near the fender. The outer one has threads already in the coresupport for the mounting screws so you will only need the slips on the inner holes.

The passenger is the same just flippedaround. Once you are in there doing this you will discover quickly that this core support was designed to take these headlights as well as the sealed beams.

Test your lights, low and high beams before putting everything back together. Make sure your bulbs are all good because it looks like the only way to change them is to take the entire grill off and un-mount the lights again to access the back of the assemblies toscrew in new lights. Install the sidemarker light sockets into the new light assembly where the yellow lens is. They twist back in just like on the old grill setup.

Once everything is put together, swap any necessary hardware or clips from the old sealed beam style grill to the new composite style plastic grill. Slide the new grill on and push the bottom into place to seal the spring clips on the bottom and reinstall your 7mm screws in reverse of the removal. Clean up your tools and wipe any fingerprints off the grill and lights then stand back and admire your work.

With a buddy the whole project takes about anhour to do everything.

Last edited by Thogert; 07-09-2013 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Making it readable.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:43 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the write up!

I hope you don't mind, but I edited it into paragraphs to make it easier to read for anyone who might be interested in doing this swap in the future.