Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Car Alarm has no chirps or sounds.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 01:25 PM
Starting Member
BlazinJo is on a distinguished road
Default Car Alarm has no chirps or sounds.

Hi. I'm new here and I hope it's ok to post here to try to find the answer to my problem because I've been searching for a few days now and I can't seem to find an answer to my problem.

Ihad work done on my car and now my alarm does not have any chirps or sounds; just blinking lights. The mechanic swears he did not touch my alarm.

We got the truck brand new in 1998. When we bought it they asked if we wanted a car alarm installed before we took it home. So I guess that's considered aftermarket. It is with a 2 button rectangle remote with a toggle switch under the dashboard. The light was sold red so I put my key in the ignition and flipped the switch to set the alarm. There was no chirp when I set the alarm. So to set off the alarm I slammed the car door. There was no sounding alarm going off, just blinking lights.

When I called the 1800 number on my remote, the name of the company was Directed. They told me they never heard of an alarm with a toggle switch ( but meanwhile it had to be installed by them) so they couldnt help me.

I know the car is old but I have never ever had a problem with my alarm system. I looked under the dash but can't find any name for this alarm.

Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:16 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

If the Light is lit solid, then the alarm is probably in Valet mode. Try turning the ignition to run, pressing the programming switch, then turning the ignition off. If the switch is a toggle switch, and not a momentary button switch, then try this: Start with toggle switch off, turn ignition to run, turn toggle switch on then back off, then turn ignition off. If the LED goes out, close all doors and try arming the alarm. If that doesn't work, you might have to go digging in the dash to find what model alarm you have so you can search out programming instructions.

If the 800 number led to Directed (Probably Directed Electronics) then the alarm would probably be a Viper, Python, or a few other of their brands.

It is also possible that the mechanic inadvertently pinched or disconnected the siren wire. It will probably take some digging but you could probably trace the siren wires and see if they have been pinched or cut.

Last edited by El_Beautor; 08-26-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:30 PM
Starting Member

Thank you El_Beautor for your input. I am going to try what you said and see if this solves my problem.

As I mentioned, when I got the truck back from the mechanic (who had it for over a week), it was in valet mode, in which I took it out of valet mode (toggle switch). I didn't notice the problem until after I brought the trick home. I guess I was so happy to get it back, I just wanted to go home.

When I called him back the next day, he claimed he never touched the valet switch and didn't mess with any of the wires. (I had undercarriage work done). But meanwhile he had to touch the valet switch because when I dropped off the truck I forgot to put it in valet mode. The alarm was probably driving him crazy so he had to do something to it???

Sorry to rattle on. Thanks for your help. I will test it out and see what happens.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:03 PM
Starting Member

Ok. I tried different options to no avail. But at least its armed because even though there no sound, the alarm works. I also have to make sure I arm it because it's also not arming by itself.

But I will have my husband try looking for a loose wire; especially going to the siren because that's the only thing that it could be.

A note of interest, every so often when I put it in valet and then out, if I do something wrong by hitting the toggle switch a few times, the alarm will stay silent. I have to rearm it again to have sounds. But not this time. I know it had to do with the amount of times you hit the toggle switch.

As you mentioned, it's also a good idea to locate the name of the alarm (thanks for the alarm name options) to find some type of instruction book. After having the truck for 17 years, who knew I would have to refer to the booklet.

Thanks again.