Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

2002 Blazer electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 07:59 AM
Beginning Member
skiextreme2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy 2002 Blazer electrical problems

2002 Blazer, four door, 4WD, auto, 6 cyl.

I have a 2002 Blazer that had no power the maker (license plate) lights or to brown wire of the trailer harness (running lights). When trying to find a way to jump from the tail lights to the marker lights, I must have shorted something because now I have no running lights at the drivers rear.

I do have signal and brake lights and everything else all around seems to be working.

Does anyone know anything about those areas - the left running lights, marker lights, running lights for trailer? Is there a fusible link in there somewhere?

I am not good with trying to chase wires unless I know where they go and how accessible they are and what might be in the system that my Haynes Repair manual does not show or mention.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:05 AM
Pewter2002 is on a distinguished road

It's early and my meds and caffeine haven't kicked in yet. (True, no sarcasm intended)! Are you talking about the vehicle lights or trailer lights being out? Most of these vehicles came with a factory harness for a trailer that Ts into your rear wiring just behind the rear bumper. Guessing you may have a bad ground back there. There is a fuse in the power distribution box under the hood for the rear trailer harness. The owner's manual, and the lid of the box, with designate the fuse. If you have trailer lights out, the most common cause is a bad ground on the trailer, or corrosion in the bulb sockets. The trailer lights will have a ground wire from the vehicle, but the trailer lights should also be solidly grounded to the trailer. Hope this helps.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Beginning Member
skiextreme2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pewter2002
It's early and my meds and caffeine haven't kicked in yet. (True, no sarcasm intended)! Are you talking about the vehicle lights or trailer lights being out? Most of these vehicles came with a factory harness for a trailer that Ts into your rear wiring just behind the rear bumper. Guessing you may have a bad ground back there. There is a fuse in the power distribution box under the hood for the rear trailer harness. The owner's manual, and the lid of the box, with designate the fuse. If you have trailer lights out, the most common cause is a bad ground on the trailer, or corrosion in the bulb sockets. The trailer lights will have a ground wire from the vehicle, but the trailer lights should also be solidly grounded to the trailer. Hope this helps.
Both were out. I knew I had problems with the trailer running lights, but haven't been to where the trailer is stored to check that problem. I had put a different plug on the trailer because the old one was corroded.

I had two 10Amp fuses out in the power distribution box. Someone had told me they didn't think the problem could be there.

Thank you very much.

Thanks to Pewter 2002 the 2002 Blazer electrical problem is solved.

Last edited by swartlkk; 04-14-2011 at 11:45 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post if another member yet to respond.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:58 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What was the final solution? Might help someone else in the future!