Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Intermitant drivers window? making me cold and mad!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 01:48 AM
Starting Member
04colyZQ8 is on a distinguished road
Default Intermitant drivers window? making me cold and mad!

intermit ant drivers window? it goes down always, and every third time it wont go up, wait 30seconds and it goes up, no clue...lol

Tempted to swap drivers side rear motor to front, see if the problem moves to the rear? They are supposedly the same motor? My guess is that its wither a relay or motor getting hot, and ounce it cools it works again??

Truck is a 95 S10 blazer 4x4 LS, 4 door, factory keyless entry.

Old 11-20-2016, 11:34 AM
GreenBlazer2002 is on a distinguished road

The motor is probably just old and tired.
You can try lubing the mechanical parts of the window assembly with some white lithium grease to help eliminate any resistance. If that doesn't make any difference, then it's probably time for a motor replacement. You can very likely find the motor with the assembly on ebay or rockauto.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:19 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

yeah that usually means a bad motor, theres a customer that has been coming for years and her astrovan does that all the time and i always forget and roll it down

Old 11-21-2016, 05:16 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

I had a very similar issue. What I found is the rivets that hold the motor and window regulator in place had "egged out" the holes and the gear part of the motor was actually going down on to the wrong side of the inner door metal where it would jam. There was nothing outside of pulling the door panel off that would have told me that. There was no grinding or groaning of any kind. Easy fix, Just drill out the remaining rivets and use some small hardware to re-attach. I would have used larger rivets but my gun doesn't have the fitting for 1/4" rivets.

If by chance you problem lies within the motor itself or the switch, it is very easy to test with either a jump pack or long leads from your battery. The motor operates based off switching of the ground. Disconnect the wiring harness plug from the motor. On the motor side of the plug, touch B+ to one of the metal tabs and B- to the other tab. The window will go either up or down (depending on which side your applying the ground). Then switch the leads and the motor will go the other way. Trust me, it is much easier for you to do this by pulling the door panel off. Plus you might want to do that anyway to look for the problem described above.

If the regulator is attached okay, and the motor is operating properly, I would consider the switch itself as the culprit.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:42 PM
Beginning Member
Mannclan is on a distinguished road

Mine does the same thing. Seems to happen more often in the summer than in the winter. Once our snow is gone I'll try the white lithium first.