Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

98 s-10 wipe fuse keeps blowing HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 09:38 PM
Beginning Member
1998mom is on a distinguished road
Question

Ok, so my son blew engine, had rebuilt fully, replaced all new hoses, water pump, etc. etc. all put back together ...... runs like a purrring kitten. But although the blinkers, the winshshield wipers and water sprayer wont.(has cruise control on same arm havent tried it yet) Made a noise like the wiper motor tried to go when tried wipers, and blew fuse. So changed fuse, and again upon turn of switch on blinker arm for wipers, blew fuse again. Herd hum echo through radio. So changed again and tried water sprayer & nothing and tried wipers too..... bam another fuse. Any ideas on what to try? Could something have not been right to cause fuse to keep blowing, or is it the arm piece or the wiper motor? Or should we be looking for something else like a split of wire or something. 17 yr old is really mad at moment and could use some suggestions. I figure the person who dismantled the thing could have maybe re connected a wire wrong or maybe its just another part that needs replacing. ANYONE??? Has anybody ever had this issue or know the possible cause? I'd appreciate anything toward a solution. Thanks

ok let me add I now have discovered that the wiper motor has two missing screws and the cap is there but not connected. The round side cap that connects to the flat circuit board side. When looking at it mounted to the firewall the round cap is on the passenger side near the center. So at the risk of sounding stupid what is under that round cap? It looks pretty obvoius to me it got hit when the engine was being pulled or put back in. Could that be making the fuses blow> and Is what is under it fixable or is this just a whole part replacement that he will need? Anyone????

Old 07-16-2013, 12:22 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

It sounds like the wiper motor may have got the case crushed a little when they did the engine cause you say it looks damaged. Inside those is rotating stuff, and the smahed cover can cause things to bind up in there. If they bind, it takes more amps for the motor to turn, and once it amps out the fuse goes. You should sent your boy to the junkyard for a replacement wiper motor that isnt damaged.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:27 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks that was the fix!! Now we have another issue with the battery or wiring or something. Driving along and boom all light on dash came on and then truck died. Got new battery. tried to drive home and it literally melted the cables to the battery and then the sauder looking stuff was so liquid on the + side the screw came out and . the neg side just stuck in. So now we need to get new cables and another battery. But first we need to figure out why it did this. Old battery was not melted. I am so fed up and her is so far in financially now we have to get it running. Any ideas?

Old 07-18-2013, 06:43 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

We can discuss this new issue in your new thread.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:59 PM
Beginning Member

FIXED!! It did need a new wiper motor. It was damaged when engine went back in. Thanks all!