Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

ABS and Brake light not turning on when I first start the car

Old 06-27-2016, 12:30 AM
Ciscob1582 is on a distinguished road
Default ABS and Brake light not turning on when I first start the car

OK so I recently took in my 2001 blazer for having the Abs and brake lights on. They told me they would take care of it. When I got it back lights were gone i was finally happy the lights were off. In these recent days I have noticed that the brake light and abs lights don't turn on when you first start the car. All the other lights come on to do their diagnostic when you first turn the car on but for some reason the abs and break light never come on. Any ideas??????

Old 06-28-2016, 06:32 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

What did they say they did to it? That is odd that they do not come on with the check bulbs.

I would suspect they removed the bulbs?

Old 06-28-2016, 06:43 PM
Racer_X is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by richphotos
What did they say they did to it? That is odd that they do not come on with the check bulbs.

I would suspect they removed the bulbs?
Removing the bulbs is a lot of work.

More likely they pulled the "Brakes" fuse or "ABS" fuse if there is one. That will make the lights go out. I've only ever done this to my own vehicle.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:57 PM
Ciscob1582 is on a distinguished road

I will check both when I get a chance to see which one it might be. If I plug in the OBD will it pull up the codes?

Old 06-28-2016, 07:04 PM

If the ABS control module has power, a good, higher end scan tool will read ABS codes.

The Bosch OBD-1300 that Oreilly Auto Parts locations have definitely reads ABS and Airbag codes on my 1996 when the "Brakes" fuse is installed. Not sure if yours will have the same controller and work the same way.

If the "Brakes" (or "ABS") fuse is missing or blown, you won't get ABS codes. The ABS controller can't report the codes when it's asleep/dead.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:32 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Racer_X
Removing the bulbs is a lot of work.

More likely they pulled the "Brakes" fuse or "ABS" fuse if there is one. That will make the lights go out. I've only ever done this to my own vehicle.
It is extremely easy to remove the cluster on these things if you know what you are doing.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by richphotos
It is extremely easy to remove the cluster on these things if you know what you are doing.
It's still more work than pulling a fuse out.

What evidence do you have that someone who "fixes" the ABS light by killing it to the point where it doesn't power on for the indicator light test when you turn on the key meets your condition, "if you know what you are doing."

Last edited by Racer_X; 06-29-2016 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:49 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Racer_X
It's still more work than pulling a fuse out.

What evidence do you have that someone who "fixes" the ABS light by killing it to the point where it doesn't power on for the indicator light test when you turn on the key meets your condition, "if you know what you are doing."
They took it in somewhere to have it fixed, usually those are mechanic shops.
Mechanics should have the knowledge on such a simple subject and if they do not know how to pull a cluster they should not be a mechanic.

I have seen it MANY times in my life where the cluster was removed and a bulb was removed and the person was charged for it being repaired.

I am not sure why this is such a huge issue for you, I am sorry if I struck a nerve