Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Added Factory Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 02:44 AM
Beginning Member
diggerdegroff is on a distinguished road
Default Added Factory Fog Lights

I decided that i wanted to add factory fog lights. I went through and switched the headlight harness (GM 12159159) with the correct harness for fog lights (GM 12159160). Fuse and relay are in place, as well as swapped out the original headlight switch (GM 15755955), for the headlight switch that includes fog light button (GM 15755954). Now from what I understand, I will have to have the BCM reprogrammed, to activate the option. And that seems to be where I am running into a problem with the local dealerships. They indicate that it cannot be done, but are willing to try for the right price. I also checked with a local garage and the guy i spoke to says that it is possible, for $125. I do not fully understand the BCM and programming, RPO, VCI, and all that, which I am trying to learn, and the need for a Tech 2 and Techline. Can anyone answer for certain that this is a possibility, or am I just stuck in my own cloud of smoke and wishful thinking? I do not really want to cut and splice anything to keep the clean look for all intents and purposes. I am also looking into adding Factory remote start in the future, wouldn't that also require the same reprogramming of the BCM? This is driving me outta my mind as i would expect the dealership to be more into helping a customer who's driven their vehicles for 20 years! Thank you in advance to anyone who can possibly help!

Old 08-11-2016, 09:07 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

If I recall, the BCM needs to be programmed with the VIN number of a blazer that came with the factory fogs. I couldn't tell you why it isn't just an 'enable' or 'disable' in the settings, but it is what it is.

Not sure if the factory start option is the same as the fogs or not.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:38 PM
Beginning Member
diggerdegroff is on a distinguished road

I "accidentally" got the phone number for GM Techline. and they were kind enough to actually talk to me though i'm not a GM technician. The lady was kind enough to inform me that it is a simple procedure to hook the Tech 2 up to the blazer, download the current program for my BCM, upload it to Techline, they will alter it and add the Fog Light Feature, then send the program back to the Tech 2 with the new RPO to be uploaded to my BCM, and that should be all it needs... Now to just find a dealership in CNY that is willing to do it. That is the only problem that i am running into now. Not enough $$$ for the "stealership" to make off me. they are trying to make it like i don't know what i am doing after driving and working on them for 20 years. It was as simple as finding a good harness and switch (which i did), and didn't buy the kit from them for $500... She also told me that if i purchased a Tech 2 that i would have the same ability to use Techline, just like the "stealership"!

Old 10-20-2016, 03:52 PM
Beginning Member
pmanwarren2015 is on a distinguished road

how about wiring in the lights direct like the old times so when you turn on the lights they come on with the side lights or the parking lights or what ever you wire them too ?

Old 10-20-2016, 06:45 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Being able to turn them off and look factory is important to some people. That seems to be why most do it this way instead of the custom way.