Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Alarm/Remote Start Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 10:13 PM
yukonmedic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alarm/Remote Start Install

Hey guys,

i just bought a Pro-Start alarm/remote start with the two-way remote (which showed up today!). i've also ordered in a passlock bypass module (which will be showing up on the greyhound friday night)...can anyone think of anything else i might need for the install? i have all the tools, since i've done plenty of electrical work in the past, but i've never done an alarm install...any tips/tricks/hints?

thanks in advance!

-Yukon Medic

ps - it's getting installed on a 2005 GMC Jimmy ZR2

(i've also printed off the wiring diagrams from the12volt.com)

Old 02-07-2008, 11:10 PM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Alarm/Remote Start Install

i was curious as to how those get installed and how they work. if u could u should make a how-to and post up take lots of pix too might be helpful to a lot of people ik i would be interested in it

Old 02-07-2008, 11:20 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

There are members on here who can help. You might also want to search through the12volts forum, and also sign up there to post if needed.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:40 AM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Yeah hopefully hillbillyinohio will post up since this is right up his ally.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:54 AM

@ blueknight -
i've been itching to try out my new camera, so i'll definitely be doing a how-to if the install works (if it doesn't there may be a broken camera due to frustration)...I also have a k&n CAI and gibson cat-back coming in the next two weeks that i plan on doing install how-to's for since i haven't seen any around

hopefully somebody will answer with a miracle post that will cut hours off my install time.....if not i may need to buy another case of beer, friends don't help for free...

Old 02-08-2008, 06:31 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

the wiring will not be complete enough on the12volt. just wont be. what is the model of the remote start?
same as this but I have added more
Usually, you will need some relays for door locks and hatch release. Does the prostart have both neg and pos outputs for locks??

What bypass did you get for the passlock?? Hopefully not the DEI 555L or 556L. those suck

12v c - Red at ign harness, Red/white at ign harness
Ignition 1 - pink at harness
Ignition 2 - white at harness (both must be powered up for remote start) The 2nd ign might be a smaller gauge white wire.
Starter - Yellow
Acc 1 - orange
Acc2 Brown - not needed for r/s. unless you want radio powered up
parking lights- should be brown at the switch (+)
Power Lock - Lt blue (+)
Unlock - white (+)
LF door trigger Tan at purple plug at bcm (-) must diode isolate from car * bcm is to the right of the gas pedal with plug facing drivers side
Trunk hatch release - black in purple plug at bcm (-)
Tach - white (AC) at the pcm on passenger fender (red plug pin 20)
RF door trigger orange at purple plug at bcm (-) must diode isolate from car
Rear Hatch is dark blue/white at lt blue plug at bcm (-) must diode isolate from car

Passlock wires are Orange/black and Yellow coming off the ign switch. Yellow will be the passlock interface wire and the orange/black will be the ground reference wire.

What else do you want to know? Pretty easy car. all wires are found at bcm or ign harness.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:44 AM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road

ORIGINAL: yukonmedic

@ blueknight -
i've been itching to try out my new camera, so i'll definitely be doing a how-to if the install works (if it doesn't there may be a broken camera due to frustration)...I also have a k&n CAI and gibson cat-back coming in the next two weeks that i plan on doing install how-to's for since i haven't seen any around

hopefully somebody will answer with a miracle post that will cut hours off my install time.....if not i may need to buy another case of beer, friends don't help for free...
lol ya ik how frustration goes lol i'm in the process of doin my exhaust and ya i got frustrated tryin to get the tail pipe off the hanger!!! cuz the hanger is bent and goes into the lil rubber thing (sry dont know what its called) so that was the only real frustrating part but the exhaust seems easy i'm finishin install tonight (hopefully lol) and if i had a dig camera i would do a how to for installing exhaust cuz its not that bad

Old 02-08-2008, 04:57 PM

@hillbillyinohio - thanks for the updated list, that will be really helpful...this is the model that i bought click...and as for the bypass it's coming from a gm dealership in whitehorse (in my little town of 1100 the napa went out of business so we don't have any parts selection) and i didn't bother asking the model number...i just told them i needed a bypass, gave them my truck info, and they put it on the greyhound.i should have it by 9 or 10 tonight so i can post it when i get it.

hereis a link to the wiring schematic of the remote start/alarm systrem..it looks like it does have a pos/neg door input, but no output?

also, what is 'diode isolate'...i've done plenty of home/auto electrical work, but it's all been trial/error stuff, so i'm not too up on the technical terms

and what would be your recommendation for splicing in the wiring...the install instructions that came with it are pretty unclear (and no step-by-step section), but they do mention slicing off a 1inch section of the sheath on the oem wire, then twist an inch of exposed install wire around it, then solder and tape...seem like a decent idea? i was thinking just cut the oem wire and marette all 3 ends together, but that could be the backyard mechanic in me coming out....

Old 02-08-2008, 08:03 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

first off, you will need 30/40 amp SPDT relays if you are wanting to do door locks. Wire them as shown here .

Let me know about the bypass, will make a difference on programming for sure. On the Diode isolate, you want to stop feedback from the door trigger wires. you will need a 1 amp diode for this, found here. I personally use the strip, wrap, solder and tape method, been doing it for 10 years and have never had a car come back for wiring issues. Just make sure you dont get any cold solder joints.

On the foor input, you will use the grey wire on the 12 pin harness for your door triggers. For locks you will be using the green and brown on that same harness.

Make sure you use a meter to verify all wires. I imagine you wont have any issues testing the wires, but if you do, let me know. Other than that, not a bad job at all.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:03 AM

well the bypass arrived.....it's labeled as 'Passlock 2003', and from the instructions i found the site for it here

seems like a very easy install, only a few wires to hook into, and the programming is nothing....plus it was only $45

looks like i'll be tackling this alarm install tomorrow night....wish me luck!

Quick Reply: Alarm/Remote Start Install