Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Alternatives for taillight bulbs??

Old 08-25-2016, 02:43 PM
Starting Member
Bolbol is on a distinguished road
Default Alternatives for taillight bulbs??

I have changed the taillight assembly on my 01 blazer to a nicer version of it around a year ago. Recently one of the lights went out and upon inspection I saw that it had melted a bit of the interior plastic molding inside as well. I was wondering if there are any other types of lights I can use that will produce less heat for long periods of use.

Thanks

Old 08-25-2016, 04:01 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Autozone sells LED bulbs that replace many of the common tail light bulbs.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:52 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

The cheap bulbs they sell at automotive stores will not produce enough light.

Look into vleds. They are extremely bright for mass produced lights.
Not cheap though, but worth the money unless you have the skills to build your own set.

V3 TRITON RED 1157 - Red - V3 Triton - Shop Products

Old 08-25-2016, 05:58 PM
Starting Member
Bolbol is on a distinguished road

What do I need to run LEDs on this car. I heard you need modifications for them to run correctly.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:32 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by richphotos
The cheap bulbs they sell at automotive stores will not produce enough light.

Look into vleds. They are extremely bright for mass produced lights.
Not cheap though, but worth the money unless you have the skills to build your own set.

V3 TRITON RED 1157 - Red - V3 Triton - Shop Products
I have to disagree with that. AZ sells Sylvania LED's (best ones are called "Zevo's"). They are much brighter than stock and Sylvania is not a brand I personally would consider cheap. They're pretty heavy duty made. For one tailight it's around $20 or so. But from my understanding (and I may be incorrect with this) they will never burn out.

You don't need anything special with these bulbs like you do with HID's. You just swap them out like changing a regular bulb.

EDIT: However, I would assume that the lights richphotos refers to are probably better.

Last edited by rockp2; 08-25-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:13 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Bolbol
What do I need to run LEDs on this car. I heard you need modifications for them to run correctly.
You will need either an electronic flasher relay made for a mix of LEDs and incandescent bulbs or load resistors to stop the hyper flash you will get with installing LED bulbs.

LEDS do not have as large of a load as incandescent so the vehicle thinks a bulb is out

Originally Posted by rockp2
I have to disagree with that. AZ sells Sylvania LED's (best ones are called "Zevo's"). They are much brighter than stock and Sylvania is not a brand I personally would consider cheap. They're pretty heavy duty made. For one tailight it's around $20 or so. But from my understanding (and I may be incorrect with this) they will never burn out.

You don't need anything special with these bulbs like you do with HID's. You just swap them out like changing a regular bulb.

EDIT: However, I would assume that the lights richphotos refers to are probably better.
I do not really have much experience with plug and play bulbs but what I do know about them is you get what you pay for when it comes to LED tail lights I have built my last couple sets of tail lights.

Those zevos do look really nice, and they use OSRAM led chips which output a lot of light.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:51 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I have two pair of the zevos in my truck for the front parking/turn lights. There is a guarantee on the package saying they will replace them if they ever go out, but that is just a guarantee, not a description of quality. The ones I have are run as DRLs, and they are running strong after 2 months of 100% duty cycle. They are sufficiently bright for the task, and the high to low contrast is pretty good as well. At about $20 a pair, they are worth it to me until I build my own set.