Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Automatic Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Beginning Member
BlueRyde is on a distinguished road
Question Automatic Lights

Is there a way to change the headlights from automaticly coming on when I start the truck to where I can turn them on when I want them on? If I`m idling in Park at night I don`t like them on. So is there a relay or rewire mod to remedy this? Its annoying!

Old 12-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Starting Member
bigjon1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know how you can keep them from coming on, but on mine, the dome override button below the headlight switch when pushed 4 or 5 times will ding and the lights will go off. Hope this helps

Old 12-09-2009, 10:28 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

use the search feature above.

in the last month or so, there have been 2 or 3 discussions on how to "trick" the electronic eye with a resistor, how to "fix" the relay, etc.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:09 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

search disable DTRL (day time running lights) easy mod if you can follow wires.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:25 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

he wasn't talking about the DRL's Curtis, he was talking about the Auto headlights.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:25 AM
BF Veteran

aren't they the same thing? DTRL = auto headlights. only thing different are the crappy ones that come on when it gets dark (due to the lame light sensor in the dash) isn't that the eye you were talking about?

hell i'm lost, listen to chris he probably understood what i missed

Old 12-10-2009, 07:40 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Different. DRL's are only daytime running lights and do not turn on your parking lights. Auto-headlights turn on everything when the ambient light level drops below the preset level (whatever that is). Defeating the DRL's will not keep the lights from coming on at night.

If you can, I would just do the quick defeat using the dome override button.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:12 PM
BF Veteran

good to know!

Old 12-10-2009, 12:58 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

The dome override doesn't work on my truck, I've tried numerous times and nothing ever happens.

What other way is there to stop the auto headlights?

Do you have to disable the DRL's to use HID as well. I had to in my Grand Am.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Beginning Member
BlueRyde is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys. I`ll take check out the search feature and see what comes up. Man I wish the "for your safety guys" would let us turn on our own lights or what ever feature they think is better controlled by them. I like the old days when we decided for ourselves.

Quick Reply: Automatic Lights