Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Best HID Projector Option These Days?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 05:10 AM
Beginning Member
l008com is on a distinguished road
Question Best "Bolt-On" HID Projector Option These Days?

My daily driver is a 2013 Camaro with HID RS headlights (the car is not an RS but the headlights are). The lights are so damn bright, I actually can't use my high beams on the highway, because there's too much glare off of all the 3M road signs.

Then I hope in my blazer and its like driving without your lights on. I'd love to be able to see where I'm going. I don't want to put HID bulbs in the stock enclosures, they don't look good (IMO) or work as good. What I want is a solution that looks factory, if my '98 Blazer had been offered with HID projectors.

So I went on eBay and bought a reasonably priced set of non HID projector lights. I was going to put some super bright halogens in the high beams, and put HID bulbs in the projectors, and in case that's not enough, I was also going to do the quad-beam hack

But the lights didn't work. I bought different but similar lights from other sellers, and they all had the same problem. They physically would not fit. The back of the projector protruded too far back and would hit the metal frame of the truck. On one set, I was determined and I really jammed them in there. Then, of course, when I tried to line up the lights, I couldn't get them to line up correctly because they weren't floating freely like they should have been.

So I ended up returning every set of lights I got (3 total), and now I'm back to my factory lights. Are there any good solutions to getting HIDs in an S10? Bolt-on solutions, that don't cost a fortune? I can google around and find kits that are just what I was going to do, these projector lenses with HID bulbs preinstalled. They are brand-less items and all of them come with just a 30 day warranty. This does not inspire confidence.

As a last resort, I may just get replacement factory lenses (with no yellowing) and do the quad beam plus 4 bright halogen bulbs. But I'd really like HID.

Last edited by l008com; 08-21-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:12 AM
Beginning Member

Here's what i looked like when I had the projectors installed. You'd barely even notice if you weren't an S10 fan, which is just the look I want. But I also need them to function correctly... go figure.

Name:  srnnRnD.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  503 Bytes

Name:  0PFEjZI.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  503 Bytes

Old 08-21-2014, 03:09 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about
Old 08-21-2014, 04:27 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Haha, if you want those kind of "HID projectors" (they're not really designed for HIDs BTW), just cut some of the core support where it hits. Repaint the edges where you cut and voila! Semi-HID performance with 5% of the work.

If you want true HID projector performance, go to TRS as mentioned above. It costs a lot more and requires more work, yes, but totally worth it.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:45 PM
Beginning Member

Ok I'm on the Retrofit Source website, but what exactly are you guys suggesting? I see lots of kits but none are for S10s?

Old 08-21-2014, 06:58 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

you wont find a kit for s10s. You need to retrofit the projectors into your housing yourself.
It would be a bit easier since the lights you have, have "projectors" but still, would not be too easy.
HiDplanet : The Official Automotive Lighting Forum is a good site for how to's

Old 08-21-2014, 07:17 PM
Beginning Member

Ok, I have updated the title of this thread.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:43 PM
BF Veteran

There is no "bolt on" hid projector option, simply put.

All the projectors that you see online.. like the ones you have for your truck are designed for Halogen bulbs.

you are in luck though, someone did the morimoto mini h1's in the same headlights you did, and did a writeup with photos.

I'm sure you could message them and see if they could make a mount like they had made, to make it a bit easier for you, that is about as close as you will get to "bolt in"

https://blazerforum.com/forum/lighti...jectors-61140/

Old 08-22-2014, 10:05 PM
Beginning Member

Plan B:

What's a good halogen bulb that's very bright, very white, but doesn't burn out too quickly?

Old 08-23-2014, 10:49 AM
BF Veteran

None really when it comes in terms of not burning out too quickly. Look up Hella bulbs, look for the 80/110w bulbs or something around there, they will be much more bright, but, you will need to get the wiring harness that LMC truck sells because the bulbs will draw too much power for the stock wiring.

Quick Reply: Best HID Projector Option These Days?