Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

HID for 87 K5 Blazer

Old 02-07-2011, 05:21 PM
mafiaboy01 is on a distinguished road
Default HID for 87 K5 Blazer

Hi, I have gotten fed up with having my expensive Sylvania Halogens burn out on me so I'm looking to put some HID's in my truck.

Couple of things I need help with.

First of all I can find tonnes of conversion kits for cars including the harness and bulbs, however the truck has sealed lights and I won't be able to just put a new bulb in it.

So if someone could recommend a "hollow" light unit that would except an HID bulb that would be great.

Thanks alot for your help

Old 02-09-2011, 07:34 AM
Beginning Member
slamdvw is on a distinguished road

I have autopal lights in my blazer and buick. They can be found on ebay under Autopal. The ones I have accept the H4 lamp and have the E-spec pattern.

I like them and like the pattern of the H4 lights.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:35 AM

Those look great, but i'll have to get ballasts and a harness for it as well right?

Old 02-09-2011, 11:11 PM
Beginning Member

Yes. The Autopals are just the reflector / lens assembly. If I remember correctly, they came with the H4 lamps ( halogen ).

When you get your HID kit, it *should* come with the harness, control box, ballasts and bulbs.

Get the lenses first, you'll need them anyway. In the mean time, you can still use the H4 Halogen.

Refresh my memory, that year blazer have the 4 light system, or the two? Basically - large or small lights??

Old 02-10-2011, 07:39 AM

Yup my blazer has the quad light system but im only changing the lowbeams (student budget lol.)

No i have to try and get the seller to give me a better shipping price.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:22 PM
xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point

I would get hella H4 sealed beam conversions as they are all glass not plastic like cheaper versions. Depending where you get them from the bulbs should be included and the hella H4 bulbs are pretty bright. If not bright enough then you can easily upgrade to an HID setup.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:34 AM

The halla ones are alot more expensive, but I might just wait and get them, I really don't want some china crap on my truck.

And what HID kit do you recommend?

Last edited by mafiaboy01; 02-15-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:28 AM
Beginning Member

From experience, the Autopals are not plastic. Glass lens, metal reflector. A friend of mine has been getting HIDs from ebay as well, I think the user is ultravisionhid or something. The kits I have been getting... sadly don't seem to hold up under everyday use, so I don't recommend them. Sorry ebay vendor. Another option for you seeing as you have the quad setup, is get a set of H4 low beam HID. Might be save a little cash on the kit. Wire it up so the low beams stay on, use your standard halogen high beams. Making the low beams stay on is real simple. Two relays and a diode. *note* I do not receive any compensation for the above named vendors on Ebay. Just relaying personal experience.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:59 AM

Well im getting my HID's local, I know a shop that gives warranty on them.

But I'm still tossed on the housings, the halla's are $110 shipped to me, where the autopals are $40 shipped.

I know the halla's are DOT certified and I really don't wanna be blinding people on the road so its a tough choice.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:47 PM

Alright got everything hooked up, they look great, however it seems like they are set to high beam when they are on, and when I flix the high beam they go low.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HID for 87 K5 Blazer