Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Compass Won't Stay Calibrated

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 02:52 PM
porkfriedrice is on a distinguished road
Default Compass Won't Stay Calibrated

Not exactly a pressing issue, but still kind of annoying. The compass on my 03 Blazer does not seem to want to stay calibrated. At least once a week I get the CAL light. Yes, when this happens I have tried driving around in a circle three times, but this does nothing. After normal driving for a day or so it will straighten itself out, but then a few days later back to the CAL symbol and erratic readings again. I have also tried setting the the compass to my region of the country like in the owners' manual, this hasn't helped either. You think that the unit has somehow gone "bad"? Not sure what else to try. This is dead last on my Blazer priority list, but still annoying.

Did a search but it seems most of the posts suggest driving in a circle three times, which hasn't seemed to help.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have any extra metal or magnetic material near the compass that wouldn't have come standard on the truck?

If not and you cannot get it to calibrate by driving in circles or figure-8's, then it does sound like something has happened to the unit itself.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:32 PM

No extra metal that I know of. Does the compass reading originate in the box in the overhead console itself or is there some sort of external unit located elsewhere that feeds the display?

Old 03-23-2014, 05:51 PM
Beginning Member
Baddogkuzz is on a distinguished road

I do believe the compass reading originates in the box in overhead console itself. My compass does the same thing from time to time saying CAL. I gave up about a year ago as far as what is causing it. I am blame old age but for the better part it works most of the time. Sorry I am no help. Just thought I would let you know you aren't the only one with compass issues.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Baddogkuzz
I do believe the compass reading originates in the box in overhead console itself. My compass does the same thing from time to time saying CAL. I gave up about a year ago as far as what is causing it. I am blame old age but for the better part it works most of the time. Sorry I am no help. Just thought I would let you know you aren't the only one with compass issues.
No problem bud thanks for the reply. Like I said, not really that big of a deal, was just checking to see if there was a fix besides what I found while searching the site.

Just have to live with it I guess, there's more important things I need to tackle anyway. Thanks