Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Connection between cluster gauges and Transmission (limp home)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 06:59 PM
ROFLsplash is on a distinguished road
Default Connection between cluster gauges and Transmission (limp home)

2000 Chevy Blazer

Have a problem where intermittently the dash gauges won't work, but the lights do, and the transmission goes into limp home mode, but when something shifts (say if I hit a bump) occasionally the gauges begin to work again and the transmission will act normally. This can also happen when I first start it up, but if I let it sit for a few minutes all of a sudden things will work again. Has anyone encountered this problem, and have a possible solution? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Old 11-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say your ignition switch is the most likely culprit. Take a look at the link in the bottom of my signature below and test the contacts for the various key positions. The resistance across the contacts shouldn't be more than an ohm for a good contact.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:06 AM
ROFLsplash is on a distinguished road

Ill test the switch tomorrow then. I know I'm going to be testing for 12-14v on power, but testing resistance has always been confusing to me in this type of situation. When testing resistance the negative probe should just be placed on a good ground, or somewhere along the circuit?

Old 11-27-2011, 02:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You want to test from the wire in to the wire out when testing resistance. Disconnect the harness under the steering column and probe the connections indicated in the wiring diagrams. It doesn't matter which probe goes where so long as you complete the circuit.