Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Day Time Running Lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:51 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
that only applies to the Auto HL feature Curtis (which only works on some of the trucks (North & South of the boarder).

just pull the fuse for your DRL.
It turns the DRLs off too on US models.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:07 PM
kevin turner is on a distinguished road

To shut off the drls you must remove the fuse with the symbol thing thats label drl. That will get ride off them dont mess with the realy. To disable the atuomatic lights. Their is a light sensor on the passenger side speaker grille. Remove the 2 screws holding it and unplug the sensor. Then use a .25 watt--1000k resitor, simply bend the prongs doubled with a set of needle nose pilers(on the actual resitor). Put the 2 prongs into the plug and black tape it a little and boooom not atuo lights. I hope this helps I done both mods today and both work great. If you need anymore info just ask, I hope I helped ya.

Note- tools and things needed
-short four way screw driver
-.25 watt, 1000 ohm resitor
- black tape
+ the resitor can be found at radio shack for 99 cents comes in a pack of five

Another note- I will take pics if needed

Old 03-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Ryanmatt135 is an unknown quantity at this point

what is the reference voltage coming out of the Computer to the light sensor? is it 5 volts?

Old 03-02-2010, 10:17 PM

I dont know..lol. But a .25 watt, 1000 ohm restior will work thats all i know sorry dude( trial and error, tried and bunch of them.lol) It may be differnt for the zr2 models, but it works on the 98 ls

Old 03-02-2010, 10:26 PM

To disable the drls on the zr2 models I think you cut a yellow wire under the driver side carpet. I wouldnt do this research it more.

Last edited by kevin turner; 03-02-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Beginning Member
boost3d is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Ryanmatt135
what is the reference voltage coming out of the Computer to the light sensor? is it 5 volts?
I'm not sure, But also a 680 ohm resistor would work.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:22 PM

I didnt see any of those, I think that the 1000k would be fine. They must be more common. At least it works great on mine.

Note- Someone should make a how to on these two mods and make it a sticky. Theres alot of people doing these mods.

Last edited by kevin turner; 03-02-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:01 AM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

Hitting the Dome Override button four times only works in 98+ models. This works in my wife's 01 Jimmy. However, for my 96 Blazer, I just pulled the DRL/Fog fuse in the inside panel. This is a quick and permanent solution, but it also disables factory fog lamps. My fogs are aftermarket, so it didn't matter.

If my Blazer had factory fogs, I would have just snipped the wires to bypass the factory fuse, then installed an in-line fuse. Problem solved.

Last edited by Psychropod; 03-03-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:43 PM

The dome overide dont work on the 98 models...tried it.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:43 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Spectreblazer
im about 15mins from portage and i work in town during the summer. yeah that drl fuse ties in with the the headlights. there is a way to bypass the drls completly using a resistor. im not sure how you do it though
that resistor is for the Auto HL's only. DRL's are a different matter.

Originally Posted by kevin turner
I dont know..lol. But a .25 watt, 1000 ohm restior will work thats all i know sorry dude( trial and error, tried and bunch of them.lol) It may be differnt for the zr2 models, but it works on the 98 ls
that's about the only wattage range i haven't tried yet. this is good info, since i too, have the same truck.

Note- Someone should make a how to on these two mods and make it a sticky. Theres alot of people doing these mods.
there are 2 or 3 threads (@ least) in the last month or so already up regarding this. in fact, when you type in "disable+auto+headlights" into the search box, you get 9 threads.

The dome overide dont work on the 98 models...tried it.
it doesn't work on alot of the years it's supposed to. besides, that's a RPITA to have to do tht each & every time you start you truck.

Quick Reply: Day Time Running Lights