Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Dead Battery, Gauge Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 10:05 PM
Starting Member
MrJP is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Dead Battery, Gauge Problem

For the last month, I have had to jump my Blaze off 3 times due to a dead battery. But AAA tells me the battery test is inconclusive. Charge and retest.

For the last couple of weeks, I have not driven my Blaze. I got in it this morning and the battery was completely dead. Not even the normal click. AAA came out, and the battery was under 3 volts. They jumped it off again and advised me to drive it for at least an hour. When I got in, the fuel gauge read low, and the low fuel light was on, the security light was on as were the abs and brake warning lights. The charge gauge reads 14 volts pretty constantly.

I filled up the tank just to make sure I had gas and ran it for about an hour with the warning lights on. When I turned it off, the security light stayed on.

Does anyone have any idea. It's an 04 Blazer, 4 door, 2wd. Stock except for an aftermarket head unit. No amps, etc.

Last edited by MrJP; 11-20-2015 at 03:13 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:32 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I cant really help with the situation as I do not know these second gens at all very well.

One thing I can help you with is the reading the dash gauge is giving you, that is giving you a voltage reading and not an amperage. So when it is saying 14, it is actually 14v.

Old 11-21-2015, 01:27 AM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

"Inconclusive" is not a test result I want from a battery. How old is it? After needing 4 jumps I would replace it. Did this start after the head unit was installed? It's either a bad battery or something draining it.

Old 11-21-2015, 01:34 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Rusty Nuts
"Inconclusive" is not a test result I want from a battery. How old is it? After needing 4 jumps I would replace it. Did this start after the head unit was installed? It's either a bad battery or something draining it.
Thanks. Battery is just under 3 years. Has 3 yr non prorated battery. Head unit is over 4 years old. Would a dead battery cause the fuel Guage and safety lights to act up

Old 11-21-2015, 02:05 AM
odat is on a distinguished road

with the lights I don't know for sure but that's my bet - if the battery is dead and maybe has a bad cell or in the process of shorting out I would think all the charging amps and volts would be trying to recharge the battery and not feeding enough to the rest of the vehicle systems - I would take it in and have it checked just in case - cooler temps are here and that's usually when a dieing battery will leave you afoot - I see your down south - here in Wyoming it's 4 above zero here tonight darn cold

Last edited by odat; 11-21-2015 at 02:08 AM.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:28 AM
Starting Member

[QUOTE=odat;657590]with the lights I don't know for sure but that's my bet - if the battery is dead and maybe has a bad cell or in the process of shorting out I would think all the charging amps and volts would be trying to recharge the battery and not feeding enough to the rest of the vehicle systems - I would take it in and have it checked just in case - cooler temps are here and that's usually when a dieing battery will leave you afoot - I see your down south - here in Wyoming it's 4 above zero here tonight darn cold[/QUOTE

Taking it in tomorrow am. Actually later today.

Old 11-21-2015, 02:15 PM
burned is on a distinguished road

You should check for a phantom draw. I think something is killing your battery while it sits. I would start with the RDO fuse, since you just installed a stereo.

Old 11-21-2015, 02:58 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by burned
You should check for a phantom draw. I think something is killing your battery while it sits. I would start with the RDO fuse, since you just installed a stereo.
Took her to a real mechanic. Battery was beyond bad. They fully charged it and it was dead 10 minutes later. I asked them to check for phantom draw. No problems found. I feel like I got my baby back. Thanks for everything guys