Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Diaita's HID Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 02:35 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

I love your enthusiasm! haha I am still waiting for the LED halos, they didn't make into the box. Early next week I hope.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm waiting on replacement shrouds for the FX-R projectors I am retrofitting for my Denali. I opened the box a little after Christmas and found the shrouds were scratched up. TRS is giving me fits about it so I just bought another set. If they refund me the cost later, that's ok with me, but I want to get these in!

Originally Posted by burned
My next set of HIDS
HYLUX's ballast
Judging by the quality of their website, I'm not sure that is a wise decision...

Old 01-30-2014, 03:56 PM

I was sooo close to getting the FX-Rs, but I wasn't sure if I could fit them into the skinny S series headlight housings, and if they did, if they would look jammed in. When the X series mini 3.0 came out it was meant to be. The styling is beautiful for the Blazer body style IMO, the lenses are about 2.5" tall, and they are still short enough to fit the shallow depth of the headlights.

For a Denali, the FX-Rs would be the cats a$$! It looks like there is a massive amount of room in the housings, and the bigger lens wouldn't look out of place. Prefered I think.

At any rate, guess what the maillady brought!!! 70mm x 80mm 5000k white halos.

Attached Thumbnails Diaita's HID Retrofit-20140130_133424.jpg  

Last edited by Diaita; 01-31-2014 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:03 AM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Guess you have something to do this weekend now!

Old 01-31-2014, 01:43 AM

I'll start by putting my factory headlights in the next day or two, then I won't need to rush things. I'll need to glue the bulbs in though, three of the four bulb retainers broke, or were broken when I pulled them apart.

I think the LED halos may be a little bright, I could see the circular shape burned into my retinas for 10 mins after testing them.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:18 AM
Twip will become famous soon enough

i cant wait to see this project all finished up! im looking to do the same thing eventually. please, please, please take a lot of pictures of the process for us newbies that want to learn. thank you good sir.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:14 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I'm sorry to hear the retainers were broken. I'd say send them back, but I know how anxious you must be to get these put in. If you can rig some way to mount them non-permanently that would probably be better. Even OEM bulbs only last a couple of years before output really suffers.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Thogert
I'm sorry to hear the retainers were broken. I'd say send them back, but I know how anxious you must be to get these put in. If you can rig some way to mount them non-permanently that would probably be better. Even OEM bulbs only last a couple of years before output really suffers.
Oh no, the new projectors are all good! I was a little vague, sorry bout that. The original Blazer composite lights had broken bulb retainers holding the 9005/9006 bulbs in. I would have been a little...aggravated if that were the case, but no the Mini 3.0s are VERY well made, almost OEM quality.

And, I am taking lots of pics, of all the parts as I get everything figured out. Hopefully I can share some progress this weekend.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:18 AM
KerbyG is on a distinguished road

Give us some output shots of the projectors. I know TRS has some shots, but I want to know how to perform right out of the box.
I'm SUPER excited to see this finished, by the way!

Old 02-01-2014, 03:42 AM

This picture is less than a minute after putting power to it for the first time. It really doesn't do it justice!! Right in the middle it has the blue flare that I've read about. As a reference, the porch light is a 60W soft white fluorescent bulb.

Attached Thumbnails Diaita's HID Retrofit-20140201_013204.jpg  

Last edited by Diaita; 02-01-2014 at 03:49 AM. Reason: added a pic

Quick Reply: Diaita's HID Retrofit